Super Contributor

Re: What are you Reading? SEPTEMBER 2016

[ Edited ]

@Judaline wrote:

@rustee Let me just say The Cherry Harvest was not all I expected it to be. It was just OK. Doesn't mean you won't like it.

@Judaline

I was attracted to this book because during WWII German POWs were held at a nearby air base and worked in the local tobacco fields. I live in western Massachusetts. Westover was mentioned in an episode of the "Hogan's Heros" TV show.  The tobacco fields are long gone, and Westover is a C5 Reserve Base, now.

Honored Contributor

@rustee  Interesting!

Trusted Contributor

Just started Commonwealth by Ann Patchett. So far, so good.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Finished Bertrand Court by Michelle Brafman, a Library Thing win, a fast read that I read in 2 days.  A book set in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. about the residents of Bertrand Court and their relatives/friends.  Glad there was a name guide since there were a lot of people and I had to switch back and forth once in a while until I got used to all the characters. 

Next up is Tangled Up In Brew, by Joyce Tremel, a lightweight mystery next, which I won from Goodreads.

Honored Contributor

I was reading some interesting facts on and by Robert Crais. He is asked if one should start with his first Elvis Cole and he recommends starting with La Requiem-says Elvis has evolved a lot since his first novel and he still loves his first books but this would be his recommendation. I was surprised by his honesty. He also refuses to sell the rights to his books to Hollywood. Good for you!!! But he has consented to let them film Suspect which stars our friend Maggie the German Shepherd with PTSD. This was a couple years ago and evidently they can't get to it till their present commissions are filled. I will get my ticket as soon as I hear it has been made. I remember Janet Evanovich selling out to Hollywood, thereby foregoing any say in casting or anything else. Bad move, Janet.

Esteemed Contributor

@rustee wrote:

OverDrive audiobooks ~

Enjoyed The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena

(kidnapped baby).

Going to start Cherry Harvest by Lucy Sanna

(coming-of-age tale/WWII Wisconsin/German POWs/love and suspense).

@rustee I loved The Cherry Harvest! I read it about a month ago and I find myself thinking of it now and then. What a terrible time for our country and the entire world.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@lainey1, come back and tell us what you think about Marcia Clark's book pls.  LM

@Lilysmom I finished Blood Defense. It's about a defense lawyer and a few of her cases and one that turns out to be a big, newsworthy item. The book started out a little slow but quickly picked up the pace. It had a lot of twists and turns and I didn't know "who did it" until the end, therefore not a predictable ending. I thought it was well written with an interesting plot.

I would recommend the book.  

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Honored Contributor

Love Transformed by Tracie Peterson

Let me put my two cents in Marcia Clark is an unbelievable writer.  I have read all her books and stay on the look out for the next.  Loved them all!  Her strong women with all the same fears and flaws as the rest of us deal with in our own daily lives makes her books real.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@lainey1, thanks for the review.  I'll look for it!  LM

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@lainey1, thanks for the review.  I'll look for it!  LM

@Lilysmom, you're welcome!

-----------

Now I'm starting Hanover House by Brenda Novak.

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum