Super Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? February 2017

[ Edited ]

@pateacher wrote:

@bella-luna wrote:

Y'all...it's taking me f-o-r-e-v-e-r to get through  Alison Weir's The Lady in the Tower: The Fall of Anne Boleyn. It's really good, but for whatever reason, it takes me longer to  read non-fiction. Is that just me?!  Yeah...it probably is! Smiley Tongue 

Anywho....just wanted to check in! Woman Very Happy

@bella-luna

You are not alone!  Sometimes I have to force myself to finish non-fiction. Give me something with a plot any day!

@pateacher & @bella-luna

I like history to be encased in a fictional, fast-moving tale.

Super Contributor

@pateacher Thanks for that! I haven't picked my book up in 2 days! Ugh! ♥
Super Contributor

@rustee I hear ya! This book is the opposite of fast-moving, haha!
Esteemed Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@sunala  I read this-it was pretty good. Seems to me it was long. 

@Judalineyou know, I thought it was taking a long time to read too. But it's good. I'm only hoping for a semi-happy ending. Holocaust books usually end tragically. Here's hoping.

@Judaline   Edited to add: I finished The Plum Tree and although it seemed to be very long, the second half of the book moved faster than the beginning for me.

I have mixed feelings about the book. I think it could have been much better, but it wasn't awful. I gave it 2-1/2 stars rounded down to 2.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it wasn't bad and it wasn't great. You know what I mean!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@sunala  You got it!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Finished Jennifer S. Brown's Modern Girls.  This book is about a Jewish family living in the Lower East Side of NY in 1935. It focused on Dottie mostly who was a working woman, which was unusual I think at that time and pregnant. Also focused on not only her family of brothers but also on her mother Rose who was in the same predicament as her daughter at the "ripe old age" of 39 which I guess was old back then.

Going to read next This To Shall Pass by Milena Busquets.

Super Contributor

enjoyed listening to
Three Weeks with Lady X by James

starting
Fatal by John Lescroart
(an innocent crush soon develops into a dangerous obsession/OverDrive audiobook)

Super Contributor

Reading The Vegetarian by Han Kang.  It is translated from Korean to English.  I just started today so I don't know if I'll like it. It's about a woman, after having vivid nightmares, decided not to eat meat & her husband is not liking it. It has excellent reviews. 

Honored Contributor

I just finished The First Rule by Robert Crais.  I enjoy his writing although find the books a little violent for my taste.  I grew up in that area so I know what they are talking about regarding locations.  

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished The Boy at the Top of the Mountain, by John Boyne.

Amazon says: When Pierrot becomes an orphan, he must leave his home in Paris for a new life with his aunt Beatrix, a servant in a wealthy Austrian household. But this is no ordinary time, for it is 1935 and the Second World War is fast approaching; and this is no ordinary house, for this is the Berghof, the home of Adolf Hitler.

I found the book rather fascinating. Although I think it was written for young adults, I still enjoyed it.

I think I'm not going to read any more holocaust books for a while. (Didn't I just say that very recently?)

On to happier books!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett