Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? February 2017

@pateacher wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@pateacherI am going to have to try reading this book again. I read a few pages and realized I didn't want to read a book like this after reading Lilac Girls, which was also about mengele and his research on twins in the camp. But maybe I'll try it again. Please let us know when you're done, and what you think of it. Thanks.

@sunala  Uh-oh! I have Lilac Girls on my Kindle, too  Hope they aren't too similar!

@pateacher

oh don't worry! I'm sure they're more different than alike, as there are the other character's stories in Lilac Girls. The one in the camp was only one of them. Please please read it!!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

If anyone is interested and like reading on their Kindle, "The Widower's Wife" is available for $1,99 right now at Amazon, FYI.

Regular Contributor

I have just finished reading all of DIANE CHAMBERLAIN's books.  There was not one book that I did not enjoy.....great writer.

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

Currently I am reading "My Grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry" by Fredrik Backman, what a charming, heartwarming story, I will be reading and I find tears just rolling down my cheeks, the stories behind the tenants that live together in this house (apartment building) and how they came to live together just warms my heart!

Fredrik Backman is such a wonderful author, he just understands what it feels like to be labeled as "Different" in a world that cannot see the magic in that title, as being labed "Different" almost my entire life I just resonate with at least one character in each of his books, and I always shed more than a few tears!

I am editing this post as I just finished, OMG, I loved this book so much, I laughed, cried and cried some more, I love all of Fredrik Backman books, but this is my new favorite, it was just beautifully written, and gave me "Warm Fuzzy Feelings" from beginning to end!

@CareBears, Heart your post!

For people who PTB or took a pass on "My Grandmother Told Me To Tell You She's Sorry", maybe try again?  It's tough in the beginning but the payoff is splendid.

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori I loved it from the very beginning but I can see how some might not have liked it, but PLEASE read on it will be worth your time, it is such a beautiful story!

Honored Contributor

On Second Thought, by Kristan Higgins

I Liked My Life, by Abby Faiaschi

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@anniebaby wrote:

I have just finished reading all of DIANE CHAMBERLAIN's books.  There was not one book that I did not enjoy.....great writer.

I just put one on hold. I'm a mystery person but sometimes I switch for a time. thanks

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished 1st To Die.  Full of laughable cliches.  Maybe they get better as you go along (I will never know).

I also read A Surfeit of Lampreys, a very enjoyable mystery by Ngaio Marsh.  This is one of her best, so far, and each of her books is a little different.  She is really good at creating interesting characters, as well as a clever mystery.

Respected Contributor

I just obtained The Bertie Project. My library never gets these any more so I was forced to buy it (rare for me).  But it's my favorite series that Alexander McCall Smith writes. 

I just saw that he has a stand-alone book coming out in April, My Italian Bulldozer.  I'm not as fond of his stand-alone books, but it looks interesting.  

Honored Contributor

I'm reading Revelator: the Hell of Heaven and Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval