Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? February 2017

@smoky22, I had to give up on James Patterson when others wrote using his name as the marketing ploy.  @gardenman gave some interesting insight into this phenomenon some months ago.  It is partly a response by authors as a result of pressure to keep producing books.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

I'm reading A Chainless Soul by Katherine Frank. It's the life of Emily Bronte.  I've read this book twice before I just think she was fascinating...marched to her own drummer in times when that wasn't easy for a woman. All the Brontes were interesting really.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor

Finished The Other Widow by Susan Crawford. Loved it.

@CANDLEQUEEN Just started The Husband's Secret! Shhhhh! 🙂

Esteemed Contributor

This morning I finished The Final Day by William R. Forstchen. This is the third book of the John Matherson series which started with One Second After. I loved that one, I enjoyed the second one, and this one was a far cry from the other two. It was long and somewhat boring and repetitive. If John said "Indeed!" one more time, I was going to scream. Also, the author let us know that John and Bob Scales smiled about 500 times, over and over and over.

I think the author should have quit while he was ahead, after the first one. That was one incredibly scary book.

I'm not sure what I'm going to read next. I have a Kindle full of new, good books. I just can't decide which one to start. I hate when I'm undecided!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

I just started reading The Girl Before by J. P. Delaney.  It's a British suspense/mystery. 

It says it's being made into a movie.  Will give an update after I finish it. 

Occasional Contributor

Hello allSmiley Happy  I just finished THE LOST WIFE by Alyson Richman,  fiction, holocaust, love story.  I have now started UPROOTED by Naomi Novik, fantasy rooted in folklore.

Esteemed Contributor

@AnnT wrote:

Hello allSmiley Happy  I just finished THE LOST WIFE by Alyson Richman,  fiction, holocaust, love story.  I have now started UPROOTED by Naomi Novik, fantasy rooted in folklore.

@AnnT welcome back! I loved The Lost Wife. Alyson Richman is one of my favorite authors.

Can I ask you to please try not use those "shocking" colors in your posts? They stand out and cause my eyes to hurt. You can underline the titles of the books, or write them in caps, or in italics, or in bold. Thanks!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

I listened to The Lost City of the Monkey God by Douglas Preston.  It was another difficult book to listen to when driving, so I can't give a real review.  I honestly was hoping for a different type of book, but it was a straightforward account of their search for a lost city in Honduras.  Was interesting to think that a city that was lost for 100's of years was only 8 years of being discovered via the illegal deforestation going on in the area.  Almost everyone in the expedition also came down with leishmaniasis and much of the last part of the novel discussed infectious diseases.  May have become a little political, so I'm going to stop here.

I pretty much get my choices from three places - here, Amazon's books of the month, and Reese Witherspoon's recommendations (LOL!)  I'm currently listening to her recent suggestion - The Dry by Jane Harper.  So far, so good. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

Finished The Other Widow by Susan Crawford. Loved it.

@CANDLEQUEEN Just started The Husband's Secret! Shhhhh! 🙂

I just finished The Other Widow also, I thought the ending was going to go another way, but still liked it.

I just started Family Tree by Susan Wiggs.

This sota girl says pop, duck, duck, gray duck and loves tater tot hotdish
Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@AnnT wrote:

@AnnT welcome back! I loved The Lost Wife. Alyson Richman is one of my favorite authors.

Can I ask you to please try not use those "shocking" colors in your posts? They stand out and cause my eyes to hurt. You can underline the titles of the books, or write them in caps, or in italics, or in bold. Thanks!

The Lost Wife is one of my all time favorites! @sunala@AnnT