Esteemed Contributor

What are You Reading? February 2017 (CLOSED)

[ Edited ]

Happy February to all of our reading friends!

Welcome to the new members of our group. Here are some of the suggestions that have been requested...

Underline, "bold" or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is.

Include the author of the book - first and last name. There are so many books with the same title (if you are recommending a book, we want to make sure we read the right one!)

Post a few words about the book - would you recommend it or not, and why. No need to post the cover.

Tell us the book genre - is it fiction, a mystery, romance, historical fiction, biography, memoir, or any other type of book.

Of course, there is no obligation to do any of the above, but it makes life easier for all of us. 

If you have any suggestions, please let me know, as we’re always open to new ideas!

Have a great month, and happy reading to all!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? February 2017

Hi, Sunny ☀️ 

I stayed up late last night with FAITHFUL by Alice Hoffman.  I hadn't read her in a while and enjoyed the book very much.

Next up is SMALL GREAT THINGS by Jodi Picoult or maybe DOWNFALL by J.A. Jance.

Super Contributor

Happy February and thanks, @sunala for starting the monthly thread, once again! ♥

I just posted in the January thread, but when I saw there was a new thread, I thought I'd add my current read here, too. Hope y'all don't mind that I'm repeating myself. Woman Tongue  

I have started The Lady in the Tower: The Fall of Anne Boleyn by Alison Weir. I have always had a thing for the British Monarchy (Queen Victoria, in particular) but I'm completely fascinated with the Tudors, too! This book has been sitting on my self for quite a while (4 or 5 years, at least) and I'm looking forward to diving in! 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

enjoyed listening to Before the Fall by Hawley

very much

started listening to
Say No More by Hank Phillippi Ryan
(latest in the Jane Ryland series/Boston reporter/a hit & run/murder of a Hollywood screenwriter/date-rape issue/library CDs)

Respected Contributor

I enjoy mysteries and discovered Lisa Gardner last fall.  I am working my way through all of her books!

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Hi, Sunny ☀️ 

I stayed up late last night with FAITHFUL by Alice Hoffman.  I hadn't read her in a while and enjoyed the book very much.

Next up is SMALL GREAT THINGS by Jodi Picoult or maybe DOWNFALL by J.A. Jance.

@tansy, I just finished Downfall.  I wish I could handle every situation as perfectly as Joanna Brady.  lol  

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

I enjoy mysteries and discovered Lisa Gardner last fall.  I am working my way through all of her books!

Lisa Gardner is one of my favorites. Have read all of her books, now have to wait for new ones to come out!

Super Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Ainhisg wrote:

Lisa Gardner is one of my favorites. Have read all of her books, now have to wait for new ones to come out!

@proudlyfromNJ & @Ainhisg

I enjoy listening to her DD Warren and Tessa Leoni books.

Respected Contributor

Happy February fellow readers and thanks Sunala for another month.

Finished Jean Hanff Korelitz's The Devil In Webster.  I read "You Should Have Known" and what I can recall of it from 2014 was that I liked it.  This one not so much.  This book was set at Webster College in New Hampshire and Naomi Miller is the President. She didn't seem happy in her job at all. The plot was plagiarism of a teacher and a student Omar who was not really Omar at all. There was a sit in because of the plagiarism of this teacher but these students didn't know of this until it came out in the press because it wasn't supposed to be found out.  It also focused on Naomi's friendship w/the Dean of Admissions and how her job was in jeopardy which wasn't found out until almost the end of the book.

I'm going to try to start Modern Girls by Jennifer S. Brown, but might have to stop since I'm expecting 3 books from Goodreads and one from Library Thing and might want to read one of those. 

Honored Contributor

I just finished Dad Is Fat, by Jim Gaffigan. It was funny, but I got sick of the big dumb man and women are born to nurture stereotypes.

I also finished Better Homes and Hauntings, by Molly Harper. I thought it was a cozy mystery, but it turned out to be a paranormal romance. It was a cute book and they did, eventually, solve a mystery.

I just started 1984, by George Orwell. I read it in high school but thought it was time to read it again.