Respected Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? February 2017

[ Edited ]
@lovescats wrote:

@lovescats wrote:

Right now I've added to my reading list Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis: The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice.    

Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis: The Vampire Chronicle

I went to the dollar store the other day and got Android

Karenina by Leo Tolstoy and Ben H Winters.  I never read any of these books but I like the illustrations.   Sometimes the dollar store has good bargains.

Android-Karenina

Super Contributor

I'm now reading Anne Perry's The Face of a Stranger. It's the first book in her William Monk series. Not sure why I'm so late to the party with this series because it's right up my alley. Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunala wrote:

To me, the main character of the book was the house, not the women who lived there nor the owner of the house. 

I don't know if you saw my post in the spoiler thread, and I have problems with the house.  But...

Spoiler
I think I am really most annoyed with the phones and the fact that the police said they could only identify Emma's.  HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?? Clearly they were still working because they could see the photos on them - they couldn't just look at the contacts and call somebody (the contact marked "MOM"?) and ask who's phone it was?  Or contact the phone companies with the phone numbers?  That is a catalyst for much of what happens next, and it simply makes no sense to me.  Something needs to change for the movie, because I could imagine that would be torn apart.  The technology just wasn't right.

Edited to add that I also just got "Lottery" to listen to next.  Sometimes I need a change from mystery/thrillers and sounds like this might be it!  Looking forward to it next. 

Esteemed Contributor

@rustee - I have Fatal and Bookshop on my library wait list. I can't wait to get them.
"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@bella-luna wrote:

I'm now reading Anne Perry's The Face of a Stranger. It's the first book in her William Monk series. Not sure why I'm so late to the party with this series because it's right up my alley. Smiley Very Happy

I'm enjoying the series too right now. I'm on Death of a Stranger. I've read all the Thomas and Charlotte Pitt books by her and like that series as well. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

started
Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough
(psych thriller/unhinged lives of David, Adele, & Louise/ modern-day love triangle/OverDrive audiobook with 4 narrators)

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just read the most WONDERFUL feel good book - THE CHILBURY LADIES' CHOIR.

It is a new release and I highly recommend it.  Here is the synopsis from GOODREADS.  I gave it a 5 out of 5 stars which I don't do often.  ENJOY!

As England enters World War II's dark early days, spirited music professor Primrose Trent, recently arrived to the village of Chilbury, emboldens the women of the town to defy the Vicar's stuffy edict to shutter the church's choir in the absence of men and instead 'carry on singing'. Resurrecting themselves as "The Chilbury Ladies' Choir", the women of this small village soon use their joint song to lift up themselves, and the community, as the war tears through their lives.

Told through letters and journals, The Chilbury Ladies' Choir moves seamlessly from budding romances to village intrigues to heartbreaking matters of life and death. As we come to know the struggles of the charismatic members of this unforgettable outfit -- a timid widow worried over her son at the front; the town beauty drawn to a rakish artist; her younger sister nursing an impossible crush and dabbling in politics she doesn't understand; a young Jewish refugee hiding secrets about her family, and a conniving midwife plotting to outrun her seedy past -- we come to see how the strength each finds in the choir's collective voice reverberates in her individual life.

In turns funny, charming and heart-wrenching, this lovingly executed ensemble novel will charm and inspire, illuminating the true spirit of the women on the home front, in a village of indomitable spirit, at the dawn of a most terrible conflict.

Trusted Contributor

@SantaFe64gal This book has been on my radar as something that I might want to read.  I think it just recently came out. Thanks for coming on and commenting on it. It just sounded like something that I might like. I do love a feel good book-especially right after reading something of a more serious nature.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Esteemed Contributor

@SantaFe64gal wrote:

I just read the most WONDERFUL feel good book - THE CHILBURY LADIES' CHOIR.

It is a new release and I highly recommend it.  Here is the synopsis from GOODREADS.  I gave it a 5 out of 5 stars which I don't do often.  ENJOY!

As England enters World War II's dark early days, spirited music professor Primrose Trent, recently arrived to the village of Chilbury, emboldens the women of the town to defy the Vicar's stuffy edict to shutter the church's choir in the absence of men and instead 'carry on singing'. Resurrecting themselves as "The Chilbury Ladies' Choir", the women of this small village soon use their joint song to lift up themselves, and the community, as the war tears through their lives.

Told through letters and journals, The Chilbury Ladies' Choir moves seamlessly from budding romances to village intrigues to heartbreaking matters of life and death. As we come to know the struggles of the charismatic members of this unforgettable outfit -- a timid widow worried over her son at the front; the town beauty drawn to a rakish artist; her younger sister nursing an impossible crush and dabbling in politics she doesn't understand; a young Jewish refugee hiding secrets about her family, and a conniving midwife plotting to outrun her seedy past -- we come to see how the strength each finds in the choir's collective voice reverberates in her individual life.

In turns funny, charming and heart-wrenching, this lovingly executed ensemble novel will charm and inspire, illuminating the true spirit of the women on the home front, in a village of indomitable spirit, at the dawn of a most terrible conflict.

@SantaFe64gal Thanks for the heads up, I just requested this book from our local library, it is "On Order" but already popular, so I will sit back and patiently wait for this book, sounds good, thanks again!

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished my first "Bookshots" by James Patterson/Duane Swierczynski the title is "The House Husband", it is 112 pages, jam packed in drama/suspense and I read it in a minimum amount of time!

I was not sure if I was going to like the short version of this new genre of book, but I do like it, this author packed quite a story into this book and I liked the fact that I can read it in a short time and move onto the next book all in the same day.

JMHO but I think they are onto something!