Valued Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? February 2017

[ Edited ]

Just "found" Linda Castillo.  Wow, she has some interesting books. Just read one (can't remember the name, of course), but was a Kate Burkholder (sp?) series.  She is a cop and used to be Amish, and revolves around this topic (not Linda, but her character)..  I'm sure many of you have read her. What is your favorite book of hers?

Valued Contributor

I have read almost half of The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers.  The book is written as a series of letters sent within the family and legal postings.  I'm no wiser about what actually happened to Placidia while her husband was away at war than when I read the first chapter.  Keeps you guessing and reading!!!!!

When Major Gryffth Hockaday is called to the front lines of the Civil War, his new bride is left to care for her husband’s three-hundred-acre farm and infant son. Placidia, a mere teenager herself living far from her family and completely unprepared to run a farm or raise a child, must endure the darkest days of the war on her own.

By the time Major Hockaday returns two years later, Placidia is bound for jail, accused of having borne a child in his absence and murdering it. What really transpired in the two years he was away? Inspired by a true incident, this saga conjures the era with uncanny immediacy. Amid the desperation of wartime, Placidia sees the social order of her Southern homeland unravel as her views on race and family are transformed. A love story, a story of racial divide, and a story of the South as it fell in the war, The Second Mrs. Hockaday reveals how that generation--and the next--began to see their world anew.

Respected Contributor

@pateacher  I have requested that my library get this book (The Second Mrs. Hockaday).  So far, they haven't.  I'm interested to hear your review when finished.

(By the way, you might want to post your note in the March "What Are you Reading")

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi folks,

This thread is closed.

Please go over to our new March thread and post all your reading news.

Thank you!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? February 2017 (CLOSED)

I finished Sister Citizen: Shame, Stereotypes, and Black Women in America, by Melissa Harris-Perry. I had the audiobook version and I did not like the reader, but the content was powerful and I'm glad I read it. Harris-Perry used a lot of studies to make her case and I appreciated the way she clearly laid things out.

I am currently reading The Cuckoo's Calling, by Robert Galbraith/JK Rowling. I'm a few chapters in and don't know how I feel about it yet.