Trusted Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? ~~ August 2016

@dawg lover wrote:

Now, I am about to start "RANDOM ACTS" by J. A. Jance.  This is a novella, similar to the Bookshots idea, where her Joanna Brady and her Ali Reynolds characters from two different series meet and solve a mystery together.  It sounds interesting.

I read Random Acts and really liked it.  She packed a lot of story into a short novella.  I enjoy both the Joanna Brady and the Ali Reynolds series she writes. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday I finished reading The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly. It was the 2nd book of the Mickey Haller series (who I just discovered is Harry Bosch's half-brother). I enjoyed it and look forward to reading the rest of the series.

Today I started The Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly. I'm enjoying it although I'm confusing two of the three ladies in Europe. I'm sure once I read a bit more I'll get them straight.

Happy reading and have a great weekend!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Junk novels!!!!!  For 40 years I read techinacal, medical, and chemistry!!!

I need a break!!!  Bring on the fluff!!!!!

Image result for cartoon character running with glee

Contributor

Living Water ,by Chuck Smith  with the BIBLE.........Jesus saves1

Esteemed Contributor

@SMA X 2, thank you so much for taking the time to reply.  In the list of books you gave me, I think The a Five People you Meet in Heaven would be a good one for me to try.

i have no clue about the mechanics of how to do this but I have all the electronic gadgetry.  A visit to the library should set me up.  

Happy listening!  A wonderful way to ease the doldrums of work commute!  LM

Honored Contributor

I just finished Here's to Us by Elin Hilderbrand.  A good "beach" read.

I am starting The Pursuit by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg.  

Esteemed Contributor

@rustee wrote:

I am enjoying this audiobook ~

In  a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware

A cozy and fun-filled 'hen' party for a bride-to-be in a home in the English countryside takes a sinister turn.

@rustee, I read this one as well.  A page turner, not too bad was my rating. You want to get through it to figure it out.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Dead Wake  by Erik Larson.  I thought I knew all about the Lusitania sinking but this book is fantastically researched with so many poiniant stories.  Larson's books never disappoint. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor

I recently finished the latest in Rhys Bowen's Royal Spyness mystery series, "CROWNED AND DANGEROUS."  This is a cute cozy series, and this book fits right into that catagory.

Then, I read a new mystery from Elaine Viets, called "BRAIN STORM".  She is the author of the Dead End Jobs mystery series, which I like very much.  This book was quite different, being more of a hard-edge, medical-type mystery.  Much of the story relates the author's real-life struggle to recuperate after a massive stroke.  The mystery itself is not that strong, but I give the author much respect for the arduous recovery she endured.  I'm not sure if I really enjoyed the book or would recommend it, but it was interesting.  Mixed feelings, I guess.

Respected Contributor

I finished The First Rule (2nd book featuring Joe Pike, but Elvis is in there too).  It was excellent.

Also read Farrier's Lane, (Anne Perry).  I was lukewarm about the Thomas and Charlotte Pitt series at the beginning, but the last several have been really good.  This one was the best yet.  I'm anxiously waiting for the new Wm Monk out next month.

I have The Good Liar (Nichlas Searle) and Before The Fall (Noah Hawley) on my kindle.  Can't decide which one to read next.  Has anyone read either of these?