Respected Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? ~~ August 2016

I read The Postmistress when it first came out a few years ago. Much ado about nothing.

Super Contributor

Hi Sunny! 

I made the move to NJ!  

Trust me, I wanted to love the new Ruth Ware book, but maybe the next one will be better.

Esteemed Contributor

@RubyinNE wrote:

Hi Sunny! 

I made the move to NJ!  

Trust me, I wanted to love the new Ruth Ware book, but maybe the next one will be better.

@RubyinNE hi and welcome to NJ. Now we are almost-neighbors! How do you like your new neighborhood? I hope you are enjoying life and feeling well.

Made any ham lately? Woman Wink

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@Judaline and anyone else who wants to jump in:

My mother's favorite writer is Patterson.  She will only read books that have a serial killer, lots of violence, hopefully some sadism.  She reads quickly.   I'm running out of books to get her.  

Do you think she would like Elvis Cole?  (I tried her on Jack Reacher and she didn't like it.)   

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

My mother's favorite writer is Patterson.  She will only read books that have a serial killer, lots of violence, hopefully some sadism.  She reads quickly.   I'm running out of books to get her.  

Do you think she would like Elvis Cole?  (I tried her on Jack Reacher and she didn't like it.)   

She probably would-I'd say they're kinda Mickey Spillane (which google). There are a lot of funny wise cracks, not much blood, but some have pretty cool violence from Elvis and sidekick Joe Pike. Maybe somebody here could tell you which to get. A couple I didn't like, and he does write stand alone books so don't get those.Look on the cover and it will say, 'an Elvis Cole novel'. If nobody answers this, I could look at my library history 'cause I have no idea which ones I've read. lol I might start reading Patterson-your mom sounds like my kind of book reader.

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

She might like Dennis Lehane's Patrick and Angie series. They are very dark and gritty. The writing is excellent.  They must be read in order. There are 6 books in the series.

Honored Contributor

@nomless I might try those!

Honored Contributor

@Judaline, thanks.  She doesn't like wise cracks or humor.  

@nomless, thanks.  I read Mystic River and that is too literary for her.  Is this more like Patterson, a faster read?, because that would be great for her.

If you saw her she's adorable, everyone says how cute she is, and she likes her violent reads quick, unrelenting and nondiluted by good writing.

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori, I would say the series is less literary and faster moving than Mystic River. 

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori oh, my, well Elvis would be way too tame. In the back of my mind there is a book series for her, but it escapes me. When I remember, you'll be the first to know.