Esteemed Contributor

What are You Reading? ~~ August 2016

Happy August to all my reading friends. We're in the dog days of summer, and we continue to relax and spend more time reading new and wonderful books.   

Here are some of the suggestions that have been requested...

Underline, "bold" or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is.

Include the author of the book - first and last name. There are so many books with the same title (if you are recommending a book, we want to make sure we read the right one!)

Post a few words about the book - would you recommend it or not, and why. No need to post the cover.

Tell us the book genre - is it fiction, a mystery, romance, historical fiction, biography, memoir, or any other type of book.

Of course, there is no obligation to do any of the above, but it makes life easier for all of us. 

If you have any suggestions, please let me know, as we’re always open to new ideas!

Have a great month, and enjoy! 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? ~~ August 2016

Hmm - I was going to respond on the July thread as, technically, it's still July where I am, but saw August was already up.

I had previously commented that I was reading The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware, and I ended up being disappointed in the final 1/3 of the book.  I personally felt that the author just didn't know how to finish it creatively, so defaulted to what she did. 

I literally just finished Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty.  I think the Amazon reviews are fair.  I kind of just didn't care about the story - you don't find out WHAT happened at the BBQ until ~57% into it.  And, I was dragging myself along with the story - possibly skimming some things.  Was getting tired of the teasing.  The people aren't horrible - I liked many of the characters.  I just didn't care ABOUT them.  But, then again, I do like thrillers, so may just not be the genre for me.  Sometimes, I also wonder if I would like a book better if I didn't any reviews?

My next book is nothing worth talking about - Cat Training in 10 Minutes.  LOL!!  My cat is far too smart and active and hopefully, this will help him (and me!)

Respected Contributor

A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY by John Irving. It's a real creepy book and a lady in our book club suggested it. I loved Cider House Rules but not this one!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Trusted Contributor

I just finished The Little Shop of Happy Ever After by Jenny Colgan. It's about a young woman in England who loses her job with the library due to cutbacks. She buys a van, moves to Scotland and opens a mobile bookstore. She also finds romance along the way.  It was a very sweet book about someone who loves books and reading.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Trusted Contributor

Just got Daniel Silva's, "The Black Widow" from my library.  He writes political intrigue. Has series/non-series, with his series on Israeli spy, Gabriel Alllon as the main character. Have read all of his books, and can't wait to have time to dive into this one. I'm getting my chores done early so that I can finallly sit down & dive into this one with NO interruptions. I have been weeding through my own stash of books & hope to weed out what I never shoud have bought at book sales. Am also re-reading JD Robb's "In Death" series that I own. Am donating the ones to my public library that they don't own & just donating the remainder.

Honored Contributor

@abbalulu Sounds like, Big Stone Gap goes to England. haha Just kidding. I loved that one and just saw the movie. The reviews weren't good but I loved it.

Honored Contributor

lori, did you read dawg lover's post on your holocaust thread? It right now is the newest post.

Honored Contributor

The Midnight Watch: A Novel of the Titanic and the CalifornianDavid Dyer, The Midnight Watch.  Wonderful book focused on the true story of the ship closest to the Titanic during the night but did not go to her aid.
Product DetailsNot as good as her other works.  Still reading after a couple of days instead of being finished in a few hours.
"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I just finished Blood Cross by Faith Hunter. It's skinwalkers & vampires & I love this series. This is the 2nd book by a new author, to me. It's smart & about a strong woman. 

Then I went to library (I don't like to read my hoarded books if I can find something at the library-in case one year I can not get to the library & I have to depend on what I have at home.) & I was afraid that I was broken. I could not find any book that spoke to me. 

So I went to another library & I just wasn't feeling anything. I was sort of upset. So I saw a Nora Roberts book & it reminded me of the Guardian Trilogy & I checked to see if Bay Of Sighs (Book 2) was available. It wasn't so I picked up the book on the New Fiction shelf, Obsession. I was not totally excited, but it was something to read. 

It is a really good book. I have been staying up very late reading every night. Again, a strong female character that I really care about. A story that is not totally predictable. A little romance. 

I'm sorry. I'm not good about telling why I like a book. I just like it or I don't.

Frequent Contributor

I agree about Alter Ego's comment on The Woman in Cabin 10.  Total disappointment.  I really think the author simply lost control of her own story and had no idea how to end it in a satisfactory way.