Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- September 2015

lainey, thank you again for starting us on a new month.  Many of us kept requesting a separate book forum, but you are the one who keeps it going.  Thank you!! 

Respected Contributor

@smokymtngal wrote:

lainey, thank you again for starting us on a new month.  Many of us kept requesting a separate book forum, but you are the one who keeps it going.  Thank you!! 

Thanks smokymtngal.

I start each month but all of you readers who post are the ones that keep it going too. It's a win-win for all of us! 

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Frequent Contributor

I am halfway through The Good Neighbor by A. Barrows but may not finish it as I am losing interest. It was free on Kindle so nothing to lose. Next I will start  The Rest Of Her Life by Laura Moriarty.

Super Contributor

I quit The Good Neighbor 30% in. Reading Fatal Vision by McGinniss and am halfway through - it's a huge paperback at 953 pages.

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

Now I'm starting Kitchens of the Great Midwest by J. Ryan Stradal.  It's a novel, I know it involves food, is funny at times and dramatic too, and has gotten very good reviews so I hope it will hit the spot.

Lori, I have this book on hold at the library (still about 5 people ahead of me).  I'm looking forward to your review!

Respected Contributor

I'm #137 on the wait list for X. That prompted me, though, to put a hold on the next book in the J. D. Rowling (Robert Galbraith) detective series. It comes out in October, I believe. For that one I'm #11!

Respected Contributor

I'm also reading The Good Neighbor by A.J. Banner right now. It's fast reading and I'm about 75% done. It's not the greatest book but now I want to see how it ends.

I'm glad I didn't pay for this book!  lol

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@smokymtngal wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

Now I'm starting Kitchens of the Great Midwest by J. Ryan Stradal.  It's a novel, I know it involves food, is funny at times and dramatic too, and has gotten very good reviews so I hope it will hit the spot.

Lori, I have this book on hold at the library (still about 5 people ahead of me).  I'm looking forward to your review!

Glad to see that, Smoky.  I came here to post about this book and now that it's on the NY Times bestseller list good tthat you're towards the top of the queue.  I'm still at the beginning of the book and here's the deal:  

If you live or have lived in Minnesota, reserve this book.  If you know what lutefisk is, reserve this book.  If you are Scandinavian reserve this book.  If you love to read books where the food is a character  (like in "Like Water for Chocolate", which I love), if you're from Iowa, like chili peppers or...

...if you love a heartwarming story well told, with characters you care about doing interesting things, reserve this book.  Everybody -- except people like my mom who require a killer, preferably a serial killer -- reserve this book!  I'm adoring it!

Trusted Contributor

@S Woods, I was catching up on all I had missed in the August 2015 thread and just saw your message about "Great Big Book of Fictional Characters."  Thank you so much.  I'll check our online system and see if a library near me has a copy.  I posted in Message 222 in the August thread about Goodreads and the result of my search if you're interested. 

I had to make an emergency trip to the dentist's office this morning, so I took along James Runcie's "Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death" to read while I waited for them to work me in (and I got through about half of it).  The book was the basis for the Grantchester Mysteries on PBS's Masterpiece.  I was interested to see the book is written as a group of novelettes, each concentrating on a separate mystery. Rare for me, and maybe because I saw the series first, I actually liked the TV changes better than the book's approach (So far I haven't found "What the Dickens?" yet in the book, and Amanda doesn't appear until the second section.)  If you enjoyed the characters on PBS, you'll enjoy the book and spending more time inside Sidney's head.  The title comes from his memory of the war:  "...hoping their thoughts and fears would recede.  The rest of their lives would be lived in the shadow of death ...[doing things] unlikely to have as much impact as anything they had done in those years of war."   

BTW, I saw someone's comment in the August thread saying, "More than 400 books on my To Read list.  What's a girl to do?"  I was reminded of prolific author Isaac Asimov's response when someone asked him what he would do if he knew absolutely for certain that the world would come to an end in three weeks.  Asimov replied, "Write faster."

Trusted Contributor

Today I finished X by Sue Grafton.  It is the newest book in the Kinsey Millhone series.  There were times in the middle of the book when I wondered where it was going, but I was satisfied by the end.  There were really three different story lines in this book and each one ended up being intersting.  I recommend it.