Respected Contributor

What Are You Reading --- September 2015

[ Edited ]

This book thread is started on the first of each month.

Some suggestions for posting here:

~ underline, bold or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is

~ include the author of the book - there are so many books with the same title (if you are recommending a book we want to make sure we read the right one!)

~ post a few words about the book - would you recommend it or not?

~ tell us the book genre - is it a mystery, romance, historical, biography, etc.

***There is no obligation to do any of the above!

As always, all posters are welcome here.

------------------------------------------------------

And we're off with another new month!

I'm reading Wreckage by Emily Bleeker. I think this was a Kindle First book, I can't remember. So far it's interesting.

Happy reading all!  laineyHeart

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Trusted Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- September 2015

I'm reading HOTWIRE by Alex Kava. It's part of her Maggie O'Dell mystery series. I'm really enjoying it! Her books include chapters where story lines are told by personal views of different people in it that makes it more interesting.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

PEOPLE WHO EAT DARKNESS,   by Richard Lloyd Parry......murder true crime.

Trusted Contributor

The Guest Cottage by Nancy Thayer ~ great so far!  I have enjoyed many of her others so fully anticipate to love this one also!

Esteemed Contributor

Just started X by Sue Grafton  ... the latest in her Kinsey Milhorn alphabet series.   It promises to be one hellava mystery ... here's a teaser:

The betrayed spouse of a wealthy businessman, a hot-tempered woman who was probably too quick to file for divorce and is still out for revenge on the husband who bedded her best friend.   She is now plotting to steal a valuable painting her ex doesn't even know he possesses.

Valued Contributor

Philipp Meyer, the acclaimed author of American Rust, returns with The Son: an epic of the American West and a multigenerational saga of power, blood, land, and oil that follows the rise of one unforgettable Texas family, from the Comanche raids of the 1800s to the to the oil booms of the 20th century.

Harrowing, panoramic, and deeply evocative, The Son is a fully realized masterwork in the greatest tradition of the American canon—an unforgettable novel that combines the narrative prowess of Larry McMurtry with the knife-edge sharpness of Cormac McCarthy.

Honored Contributor

I just started The Book of Lost Things, by John Connolly.

I just finished Just Mercy, by Bryan Stevenson. I think that Just Mercy is probably the most important book I've read in a very long time and I give it my highest recommendation to anyone. Bryan Stevenson is a lawyer for a non-profit organization in Alabama and worked to get innocent people off of death row and adjust the sentences of children who were given life sentences. His clients included men who were given death sentences even though they evidence against them was impossible or fabricated and children who have been in prison with adults from the age of thirteen. One of his clients went to prison at 14 and has been in solitary confinement for over 15 years. Others included boys who went to jail or prison at age 13 or 14 and were put in with adults who abused them mercilessly. Thanks to Stevenson's work, it's now no longer legal to put a child into prison with adults or to sentence a child to life in prison without the possibility of parole. 

Honored Contributor

Twisted by Andrew E. Kaufman, halfway through it and it is very very good and keeps you wanting to read it and figure it out!!!!!!!!!!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finishing "The Murderer's Daughter"  by Jonathan Kellerman. Really good, but I miss Dr. Delaware and Milo.  It features Grace Blades, a psychologist who was breifly introduced in another Kellerman book.  We learn about her unique upbringing, and follow along as she tries to solve a mystery from her own past. Love her investigative skills.

Respected Contributor

I finished World of Trouble, the final book in The Last Policeman trilogy (Ben H. Winters).  As with the first two books, a meteor is set to collide with earth, each book bringing the timeline closer.  The entire series is compelling, but with this last book, I raced to finish it and yet was afraid for it to end.  Henry Palace, the protagonist, is a brilliant fictional creation, who tries to find order amid the chaos.  I absolutely loved this character. This series is part sci-fi and part detective story and beautifully written.  I'm sorry to be done with it.