Super Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- October 2015

@coldlake wrote:

@smokymtngal wrote:

I read Dishing The Dirt (typical Agatha Raisin).

Sidney Chambers and the Problem of Evil, 3rd in the Grantchester Mysteries series.

Career of Evil.  Despite all the wonderful reviews (here and elsewhere) I did not enjoy this book.  Too much perversion for me.  I skipped all the chapters told from the point of view of the killer (although all the suspects were deviants and basically interchangeable).  Robin's back story seemed gratuitous.  I feel like so much of this book was filler.

I just obtained After You (Jojo Moyes) and hope it's a more pleasant reading experience. 

smokymntgal, thank you for the review of Career of Evil.  I really don't like reading anything that allows me to see into the mind of a killer--I never have liked that device used in books.  The last book was on the edge for me as far as gruesome plots points go and as much as I like the core characters, I'm going to skip this one. The first book was great, the second, too gory for me.

Just downloaded The Wine of Angels by Phil Rickman.  Merrily Watkins lives in England near the Welsh border.  She's a single mum, a vicar, and well, I shouldn't give away the rest but it's a good spooky series for this time of year.  I've read the later books but not this first in the series.  This one has been made into a tv series in England so hopefully we will get it someday.  I would rate this series as scary but not overly gory.  

EDIT:  I wanted to add a note re Jojo Moyes.  I haven't read her more popular books but I loved her earlier work, The Ship of Brides. It's based on a true story of 650 WWll war brides who were transported to England from Australia via an aircraft carrier.  

@coldlake  Wasn't Ship of Brides a great read??  I read it after one of Jojo Moyes more recent books andthoroughly enjoyed it!  I've gone on to read all of her books, and really enjoy her writing!

Frequent Contributor

Sunnyfield, I really enjoyed The Ship of Brides!  Anyone watching the current PBS series Home Fires would probably like it too.  It was so interesting to read that the author had a family member on that ship.  Of course events were changed and dramatized for the book but it was very well done.

Respected Contributor

@coldlake and @Sunnyfield thanks for the tip on Ship of Brides.  I'm definitely going to look that up.

Super Contributor

I like a book that is light reading and an easy plot so I don't usually recommend books, most of you seem to read heavier storylines.

I did have to log in and say I finished MURDER HOURSE by James Patterson last night and I found it a really good read.  The storyline had so many twists and turns it kept me intrigued throughout the entire book.  One night I woke up at 2am, instead of rolling over and going back to sleep, I got up and read, until 5am, lol.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lynneuk wrote:

Just read a very good mystery called The Ice Twins by S.K Tremayne.

Set on a remote island in Scotland. A young couple suffer the loss of one of their twins. And after a year goes by they are horrified to find that the twin they thought had died is actually still alive. Or is she,lol!

Its a good read anyway for mystery lovers.

I read this book for my local library book club. After reading numerous reviews, I was expecting it to be much more scary than it actually was. I won't give away anything important. The story started out with a seemingly good plot and built lots of suspense. 

All in all, I recommend this book. It's a fairly quick read, and I was so anxious to find out the ending that I couldn't put it down.