Super Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- October 2015

Just finished WHEN THE MOON IS LOW by NADIA HASHIMI.  It´s about a family leaving Afganistan when the Taliban took over.  It shows the suffering people go through to get to safety.  It took me a while to read because it was very, very sad.  

Oe of the best reads for this year for far but like I said very sad.

Thanks

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@smokymtngal wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

I'm reading "How the Light Gets In."  I know I'm the last one to read this book LOL.  But I'm glad I watied because I had to follow OVE with something extraordinary.  

When I gave Ove away this weekend (to my widowed aunt who remains very appreciative of the great books I give her) it was like my fingertips didn't want to let go of it.  Maybe I'll buy myself another copy.

Lori, since you've praised the book so highly, I had to put A Man Called Ove on waitlist.  I hope I like it as much as you did.  Heart

smoky, I just wanted to say that my library just got Twisted in the new books-it's one that you and I were looking for. Maybe your library got it too. Kaufman is the author you want.

Also The Yellow Crocus which I'm been waiting for them to get and it's here. It'll have to wait now, but at least I know it's now available.

Frequent Contributor

Just finished UNDER A DARK SUMMER SKY!  Thank you SUNALA for recommending it - I loved it!  5 stars at Goodreads from me!  Now onto PRETTY GIRLS, a new psychological thriller getting great reviews - I have hopes it's a great read!

Honored Contributor

I just finished a really great read --- Come Home by Lisa Scottoline.  I have never read one of her books before and I must say I could not put this one down.  It was way more than I thought it would be.  I tend to like the usual -- woman has adversity, woman overcomes adversity - books, but this has a lot more -- intrigue, mystery, etc.  I won't say more, for those of you who may want to read it and I want you to be pleasantly surprised by all that this book has to offer!  I went on line and Ms. Scottoline has a lot of books to choose from.  I will certainly be reading more!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I I finished Letters to the Lost by Iona Grey, and really enjoyed it.

I also read Tiny Little Thing by Beatriz Williams, which I loved.  I can't wait to read Pepper's story, Along the Infinite Sea, when it's released November 3rd.

I'm on hold at the library for A Man Called Ove and I can't wait to get it!  Everyone is raving about it!!!

Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@skyblue wrote:

I I finished Letters to the Lost by Iona Grey, and really enjoyed it.

I also read Tiny Little Thing by Beatriz Williams, which I loved.  I can't wait to read Pepper's story, Along the Infinite Sea, when it's released November 3rd.

I'm on hold at the library for A Man Called Ove and I can't wait to get it!  Everyone is raving about it!!!

Woman Very Happy

I loved Letters to the Lost. I'm just finishing Ove. I guess you'd call him a loveable curmudgeon. But not. Could never describe him. I was tempted at first to discontinue the book, but with all the raves I kept going and was enraptured. I've never really read anything like this. The way it enfolds is interesting to say the least.

Respected Contributor

Finished Jennifer Weiner's Who Do You Love.  Loved it.

Starting Judy Blume's In The Unlikely Event.  I think the last book I read by her was Summer Sisters.  Never read any of her YA books growing up.

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished DISCLAIMER by Renee Knight.  Here is the storyline by Goodreads.  It is a quite good.  I thought it deserved more than the 3.6 rating it got. I would have given it a 4.  LM

Finding a mysterious novel at her bedside plunges documentary filmmaker Catherine Ravenscroft into a living nightmare. Though ostensibly fiction, The Perfect Stranger recreates in vivid, unmistakable detail the terrible day Catherine became hostage to a dark secret, a secret that only one other person knew--and that person is dead.

Now that the past is catching up with her, Catherine’s world is falling apart. Her only hope is to confront what really happened on that awful day even if the shocking truth might destroy her.

Honored Contributor

I just finished The Wright Brothers by David McCullough.  Though not a "page turner" it was a very interesting book.  I found I did not know very much about them. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Voices of the Dead, by Peter Leonard. This was a suspenseful novel taking place in the 1970's about a former nazi officer who is hunting down Jews that escaped while under his watch, and murdering them. 

I know I swore I was going to lay off the nazi books, but I started it and couldn't stop. I really enjoyed it and it was good until the last page.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett