Regular Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- November 2015

I finished Tricky Twenty-Two by Janet Evanovich.  I am usually a complainer about the latest installments not living up to expectations, but not this time!  I actually really liked it.  I thought there was movement in Stephanie's relationships. The characters were up to their usual antics, and I laughed out loud a couple of times.  I didn't even want to complain about the increased page margins, the lower page count, or the price!  I bought the kindle version when it was on sale in a pre-order for $2.99.  I got my money's worth and was pleased!

Now, I am reading The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Frye by Rachel Joyce and Legend by Marie Lu. 

Respected Contributor

I finished Road Rage (another Inspector Wexford).  It was a little confusing (too many characters) and took me a while to get into it.  And it wasn't as good as the last one, but she still managed to make it complex and interesting.  In most of her mysteries, I sort of guess the outcome, but not entirely. 

Respected Contributor

I just finished The Secret Sister by Brenda Novak. It was a nice, interesting story but a bit predictable.

Now I'm starting Lethal by Sandra Brown.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Valued Contributor

Just finished "The Woman Who Walked in Sunshine" by Alexander Mcall Smith.  If you like his Precious Ramotswe series, this doesn't disappoint. The cadence of the dialogue takes some getting used to, but I love these books!  I just got back from a trip to South Africa, so I can more easiy imagine the surroundings and the characters.

I have a lovely present to enjoy on my Thanksgiving day off: Jan Karon's "Come Rain or Come Shine."   I'm going to cozy up by the fire and savor it!

Occasional Contributor

I've been re-reading Harry Potter Smiley Happy I bought the ibook versions that come with illustrations and added notes and all that good stuff. First time I read the books, I was young and sped read through everything because I was just so excited to have the books in my hands! Now, I can take the time to read the books in bits and really take everything in. Noticed it's a lot heavier, in terms of emotions, than I remembered it being first time around. So good!

Respected Contributor

@theriversedge79 wrote:

I've been re-reading Harry Potter Smiley Happy I bought the ibook versions that come with illustrations and added notes and all that good stuff. First time I read the books, I was young and sped read through everything because I was just so excited to have the books in my hands! Now, I can take the time to read the books in bits and really take everything in. Noticed it's a lot heavier, in terms of emotions, than I remembered it being first time around. So good!

I didn't read the series until a couple years ago. It was so nice to read the series straight through and not have to wait for the next installment. @theriversedge79

Honored Contributor

I'm still wading through The Nature of the Beast. I think Louise and I have come to the parting of the ways. I love Three Pines and I like the characters and I like the FOOD! But no, can't do this anymore. Her last 3 I just couldn't get into or stay with and this is loooooong and I've gotten to where I don't even care about the bloody gun-whoops, bad choice of words. Onto the new Faith Sullivan book. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Judaline wrote:

I'm still wading through The Nature of the Beast. I think Louise and I have come to the parting of the ways. I love Three Pines and I like the characters and I like the FOOD! But no, can't do this anymore. Her last 3 I just couldn't get into or stay with and this is loooooong and I've gotten to where I don't even care about the bloody gun-whoops, bad choice of words. Onto the new Faith Sullivan book. 

@Judaline I know what you mean.  This series seems to have run it's course.  Although she did leave the door open for something different in her next Gamache book. 

I know this is a minority opinion but I loved her non Three Pines books the best.  Her first book was great because it introduced all the characters.  But after that I found the Three Pines people boring (sacrilege, I know). 

I have always been more interested in Inspector Gamache away from Three Pines (and please, no more Clara centered books).  I think it's nice that he lives there now, and the characters are wonderful in the background, but I want the mystery to be about something else.  JMHO

I feel like I need to add that I think Louise Penny is a very gifted writer.  She writes beautifully.  Lately I've found her plots a little too contrived.

Esteemed Contributor

@smokymtngal wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

I'm still wading through The Nature of the Beast. I think Louise and I have come to the parting of the ways. I love Three Pines and I like the characters and I like the FOOD! But no, can't do this anymore. Her last 3 I just couldn't get into or stay with and this is loooooong and I've gotten to where I don't even care about the bloody gun-whoops, bad choice of words. Onto the new Faith Sullivan book@Judaline I know what you mean.  This series seems to have run it's course.  Although she did leave the door open for something different in her next Gamache book. 

I know this is a minority opinion but I loved her non Three Pines books the best.  Her first book was great because it introduced all the characters.  But after that I found the Three Pines people boring (sacrilege, I know). 

I have always been more interested in Inspector Gamache away from Three Pines (and please, no more Clara centered books).  I think it's nice that he lives there now, and the characters are wonderful in the background, but I want the mystery to be about something else.  JMHO

I feel like I need to add that I think Louise Penny is a very gifted writer.  She writes beautifully.  Lately I've found her plots a little too contrived

@smoky22@Judaline, I am becoming less and less intrigued by anyone's series.  I said this earlier about Penny I think ... It must be hard to keep the story going while at the same time writing as though it is a stand alone book.  The danger is the amount of repetition.   I think I prefer the stand alone book myself.  It is not unusual for me to find an author I love and read everything they wrote.  Maybe not all at once.  

Having just finished Robert Galbraith's book about Strike and Robin, I am through with that series.  Boring with a capital B for me.  I think the same about Louise Penny's last book.  Maybe another book in this series some time down the road but I would love to see her do something different.  I will read Louise Penny again.  Galbraith, not so sure.

You know, maybe I should go to her (Louise Penny s) FB page and say that!  LM

Respected Contributor

When it rains , it pours.  For a while I had almost nothing to read and now 8 books became available to me.  I'm reading A Man Called Ove first.   About 25% in and so far I really like it. 

I think The Woman Who Walked in Sunshine will be next. Then after that, Slade House  (David Mitchell).

I returned The Zig Zag Girl after reading one chapter.  It's nothing like the Ruth Galloway books.  I might try it again at a later time.