Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- November 2015

@LoriLori wrote:

@Lilysmom, thanks.  I was afraid it contains spoilers in the thread.  So it's safe to go there?  I'm only 50 pages in.

@LoriLori, probably better to wait until you are done to read the thread.  Come back to it and tell us what you think.  Happy reading!  LM

Honored Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

Last night I finished Tricky Twenty-two by Janet Evanovich.  If you enjoy the series, you will enjoy this installment, too.  If you aren't looking for more of the same, then skip it.  According to the ending, I think Stephanie may finally make a romantic relationship decision and it's about time.  I find the series entertaining and fun to read.

You're darn skippy, I read it! Loved it, just like I always do. People complain that they're all the same. That's what I like about them. I don't want to move out of those familiar circumstances. Everything the same. Just keep Grandma Mazur and Lula with their guns and antics. I love it. I'm Morelli all the way. I didn't care for his part in this book-he was so Un-Morelli like. Hopefully next time business as usual.

Trusted Contributor

Several times I've seen recommendations here for Ruth Rendell's Inspector Wexford series.  The only one the library had on the shelf was "End in Tears" which, from the in-book list, is #20.  I've read 100 pages so far, and I'm wondering if you consider this one of her better ones or one of her worse?  Every time she goes to "Hannah's" viewpoint, the character is making so many critical internal comments I'm losing my enjoyment of the book.  I'd appreciate any comments from Rendell fans.

Respected Contributor

@Honeybit wrote:

Several times I've seen recommendations here for Ruth Rendell's Inspector Wexford series.  The only one the library had on the shelf was "End in Tears" which, from the in-book list, is #20.  I've read 100 pages so far, and I'm wondering if you consider this one of her better ones or one of her worse?  Every time she goes to "Hannah's" viewpoint, the character is making so many critical internal comments I'm losing my enjoyment of the book.  I'd appreciate any comments from Rendell fans.

I know a lot of people don't mind reading books out of order but I have to start at the beginning.  I slogged through the first 4 or 5 Wexford books because they got such good reviews.  I'm now at #17 and have become familiar with the character, his family, and Ms Rendell's style. 

I can't imagine diving in at #20.  But I also can't imagine a library only having one Wexford book.  Maybe all the rest are out?  Do you get any library books on your kindle?  My e-library has all the Wexford books except two of them. 

I don't know what to tell you about #20 (not there yet).  I had to become familiar with the character and the style before I started appreciating Ruth Rendell's work.  Although there was one I absolutely hated (several books ago).

Trusted Contributor

@Honeybit - I read "END IN TEARS" recently, and thought it was middle-of-the-road okay. Ruth Rendall has written better books, but I always feel that I have to read them in order, to continue the story. Amazon gives it a 3.6 out of 5, and I would agree with that. Coming in at #20 in a series is difficult too, as a lot of history has passed with the characters. After finishing "TRICKY 22" and "ALL DRESSED IN WHITE" (Mary Higgins Clark) and enjoying them both, I am on to James Patterson's newest Alex Cross mystery, "CROSS JUSTICE" and the latest Patrick Taylor Irish Country Doctor novel, "AN IRISH DOCTOR IN LOVE AND AT SEA.". Happy Thanksgiving to all and enjoy reading over the holiday, if you can.
Respected Contributor

Just finished Career of Evil. Thank heaven.

Violent and frustrating. As I said before, I will NOT be on the lookout for the next book.

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 sorry I can't help. I read it but can't remember it. Just too long ago. There was only one I really didn't like. Maybe it was this one. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@smoky22 and @dawg lover

Thanks for your comments -- I knew readers here had said they liked some of the Wexford books better than others.  Our county libraries are small and underfunded, so local selections are limited.  There is a PINES (Public Information Network for Electronic Services) system which includes many libraries all over the state.  You can search the catalog online and request books from other libraries which will be shipped to your local library -- funded by the state rather than the individual counties.  Certainly expands our possibilities.

Like most book lovers here, I prefer reading a series in order, but when I saw this one on the shelf I decided it was a good chance to sample Wexford and decide if I wanted to start putting in requests for the entire series. So far it hasn't been "love at first read" as it was with the Inspector Gamache series (which I also learned about here).

Our local library doesn't offer e-books directly, and I haven't taken the time to see what hoops I'd have to jump through to borrow out-of-county.  That system is not included in PINES.

ETA:  I love the Irish Country Doctor series, too -- I have a couple of them on my "saving for a drought" To Read shelf.

Honored Contributor

Sorry I replied to smoky instead of honey. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

Sorry I replied to smoky instead of honey. Smiley Happy

@Judaline You are priceless!