Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- November 2015

@DiAnne wrote:

I just finished A Man Called Ove that so many here recommended.  I usually read mysteries and this was a nice change.  Lovely book that brought a smile to my face. 

This just became available to me and, unfortunately, I have some other books to read first.  I'm anxious to get to it.  Everyone has such praise for it (and I usually read mysteries, too).  Thanks for the review.

Honored Contributor

@smokymtngal wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

I just finished A Man Called Ove that so many here recommended.  I usually read mysteries and this was a nice change.  Lovely book that brought a smile to my face. 

This just became available to me and, unfortunately, I have some other books to read first.  I'm anxious to get to it.  Everyone has such praise for it (and I usually read mysteries, too).  Thanks for the review.

Ditto.

Honored Contributor

Book No. 3. Wonderful reading.

Product Details

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I'm shocked that I'm having a tough time with "Career of Evil."  It's too long and I wouldn't mind but it's wordy.  After finishing Harry Potter I was in awe of her talent but thought it could have been cut by a third and been just even better.  I feel that way so far about "Career of Evil."  Of course I have to get to the end to find out if I'm right which is not comforting LOL.

Valued Contributor

Started Kate Morton's The Lake House yesterday.

Living on her family’s idyllic lakeside estate in Cornwall, England, Alice Edevane is a bright, inquisitive, innocent, and precociously talented sixteen-year-old who loves to write stories. But the mysteries she pens are no match for the one her family is about to endure…

One midsummer’s eve, after a beautiful party drawing hundreds of guests to the estate has ended, the Edevanes discover that their youngest child, eleven-month-old Theo, has vanished without a trace. What follows is a tragedy that tears the family apart in ways they never imagined.

Decades later, Alice is living in London, having enjoyed a long successful career as an author. Theo’s case has never been solved, though Alice still harbors a suspicion as to the culprit. Miles away, Sadie Sparrow, a young detective in the London police force, is staying at her grandfather’s house in Cornwall. While out walking one day, she stumbles upon the old estate—now crumbling and covered with vines, clearly abandoned long ago. Her curiosity is sparked, setting off a series of events that will bring her and Alice together and reveal shocking truths about a past long gone...yet more present than ever.

I love Kate Morton's books, but I'm having a little trouble getting into this one.

Trusted Contributor

Last night I finished Tricky Twenty-two by Janet Evanovich.  If you enjoy the series, you will enjoy this installment, too.  If you aren't looking for more of the same, then skip it.  According to the ending, I think Stephanie may finally make a romantic relationship decision and it's about time.  I find the series entertaining and fun to read.

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

I'm shocked that I'm having a tough time with "Career of Evil."  It's too long and I wouldn't mind but it's wordy.  After finishing Harry Potter I was in awe of her talent but thought it could have been cut by a third and been just even better.  I feel that way so far about "Career of Evil."  Of course I have to get to the end to find out if I'm right which is not comforting LOL.

@LoriLori, that was my complaint, among others.  See the stand alone thread about this to get views on it.  You may want to wait.  I don't think it has spoilers but it might.  Interesting to see people's different takes on it.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am almost finished THE STRANGER by Harlan Coben.  It is fast paced and I like it so far.  Thanks to whoever recommended this.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom, thanks.  I was afraid it contains spoilers in the thread.  So it's safe to go there?  I'm only 50 pages in.

Esteemed Contributor

I read The Good Girl by Mary Kubica over the weekend. I enjoyed it very much, and the ending had quite a twist!

I'm not 100% sure I understood exactly what happened. Would someone be kind enough to send me their interpretation of the last scene in the bar? 

I like this author; I read her other book, Pretty Baby, and enjoyed it as well. 

I'm now reading After the Parade, by Lori Ostlund, about a gay man who is trying to find himself. I'm enjoying it so far. 

Lots of books to read, but not much time with Thanksgiving on its way. 

Have a happy Thanksgiving, everyone! 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett