Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- May 2016

Finished Patricia Rice's Almost Perfect.  It was just ok.  Don't think I'll be reading the other 2 in this series.

I'm going to read Barbara Taylor Bradford The Cavendon Women next.  Loved this first one in this series and have to read this one before the third book comes out next month.

Contributor

I'm reading ....THE PASSENGER by.....LISA LUTZ, it's a mystery, suspence fiction. It's very good so far, u can't put it down!!
Honored Contributor

Product DetailsBook 1 of her newest Trilogy.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I read L.A.Requiem, the 8th in the Elvis Cole series.  This one has a lot of backstory on Joe Pike and it was very good.

I also finished Major Pettigrew's Last Stand.  It was fairly predictable, in my opinion.  I have her other book on hold. 

Now I'm reading A Test of Wills, the first Ian Rutledge. 

And I'm about 25% into The Woman in Blue (Elly Griffiths).  I'm savoring this one and trying not to read it too fast.  I'm always sad when I have to wait another year for the next book.

Occasional Contributor

Just finished reading "Murder She Tweets"  by Amy Beth Arkawy- 3rd book in the series.  Fun mystery, fast read - wonderful characters.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@smoky22@skyblue & anyone else interested, I finished Fredrik Backman's "Britt-Marie Was Here."   

I loved it.  But it takes a while to get going.  Most of the characters when you meet them seem to be degenerates.  They're not but that's how they seem.  Most are one-dimensional and Backman takes too long filling them in, which it makes it harder to get into.  It takes too long to get to know and care about and even love the town and the characters.  

For me it was well worth it.  I laughed, I cried, I was moved.  There was a big payoff; I was glad I stayed with it.  So I would say try it.  Maybe you'll PTB, maybe you won't, but it's worth a try and maybe a lot more.

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@smoky22@skyblue & anyone else interested, I finished Fredrik Backman's "Britt-Marie Was Here."   

I loved it.  But it takes a while to get going.  Most of the characters when you meet them seem to be degenerates.  They're not but that's how they seem.  Most are one-dimensional and Backman takes too long filling them in, which it makes it harder to get into.  It takes too long to get to know and care about and even love the town and the characters.  

For me it was well worth it.  I laughed, I cried, I was moved.  There was a big payoff; I was glad I stayed with it.  So I would say try it.  Maybe you'll PTB, maybe you won't, but it's worth a try and maybe a lot more.

Thanks for the review! @LoriLori I'm still reading The Boys on the Boat. It's good, but a bit slow in spots.

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex.  I have mixed feelings about the book.  I didn't know the entire story before Insatrted so some of it was a surprise to me.  Interesting, certainly but there are some gruesome parts.  Overall, glad I read it.

I am on to Resemption Road by John Hart.  It is highly recommended and I also believe it was an award winner (Edgar maybe).  Will report more later on this one.  LM

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori thanks for the review on Britt-Marie.  I'm still waiting for my elibrary to get it.  I'm looking forward to it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished a strange book that I loved.  It's We have always lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson.  It was written in the '50's I think.  Strange characters that you begin to care about. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth