Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- May 2016

@sunala wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@sunala, true,  a sad story but his writing is so good it makes the sadness worth it.  His writing sometimes reminds me of Alice Hoffman, some of her best books.

@LoriLori to be honest, I haven't enjoyed an Alice Hoffman book in several years. I've finally given up on her.  If you find a new book of hers that's reminiscent of her older books, please let me know.

Oh, sorry, @sunala, I should have been specific.  The last book of hers I loved was "Blackbird House"; it's been downhill ever since and I too stopped reading her.   This book reminds me of "Local Girls" or "Here on Earth", the days when she wrote about small towns in the northeast with such poignancy.

Honored Contributor

I got slammed by the library as several requested books all came at once.  

I just finished The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson.  I just do not understand why this book has 473 holds on it.  It was a pleasant OK read but that was about it.  

I am starting The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney.  It has 520 requests so we will see how this one goes.  

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori to be honest, I haven't enjoyed an Alice Hoffman book in several years. I've finally given up on her.  If you find a new book of hers that's reminiscent of her older books, please let me know.

Oh, sorry, @sunala, I should have been specific.  The last book of hers I loved was "Blackbird House"; it's been downhill ever since and I too stopped reading her.   This book reminds me of "Local Girls" or "Here on Earth", the days when she wrote about small towns in the northeast with such poignancy.

@LoriLori omg Local Girls is my favorite Alice Hoffman book! It's the first one I read, and I became a huge fan after reading it. Blue Diary was also one of her earlier books that I loved.

Several of her early books took place right here on Long Island (NY), where she lived and went to school. I will check my list and see which of her other books I read and enjoyed. It's been several years since I've tried one of her books.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

Finished Barbara Taylor Bradford's The Cavendon Women (#2 in the series).  Enjoyed reading the continuation of this series.  Anticipating the 3rd one which comes out next month.

I'm now going to read Summer Shadows by Gayle Roper.

Super Contributor

Finished First Frost by Sarah Allen Addison.  It's the second of the Waverley series.  Love it too. I'm becoming a big fan. I think this is the 4th book of hers I've read. 

Honored Contributor

Tumbleweeds: A NovelLelia Meacham Tumbleweeds.
Just checked out yesterday books one and two of Barbara Taylor Bradford's Cavendon series and am on hold for number 3.  Cannot wait to start them this week-end.
"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@sunala, where on Long Island did Alice Hoffman grow up?  I didn't know that and can't find where.  I think she lives in Marblehead, Mass. now, or she used to, in a gorgeous home.  "Local Girls" is my favorite of hers too!  

Regular Contributor

Just enjoyed The Tour.  It is about a group of people taking a tour of Ireland and their happenings and the friendships they form while on the tour.  They are led by a very caring driver/guide who, too, makes discoveries of his own while on this particular tour.  

Regular Contributor

Oops!  Forgot to mention that The Tour was written by Jean Grainger.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm about half-way through Miller's Valley by Anna Quindlen.