Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- May 2016

After what seemed like an eternity I finally finished Stephen King's 11/22/63. I really liked it, but started to lose interest about 2/3 of the way in. I didn't want to quit after almost 600 pages so I kept at it and I was glad I did. 

I started "When Breath Becomes Air" but had to stop for now. It's too depressing and sometimes the descriptions of hospital procedures and illnesses can be disturbing. I may go back to it later.

Now I've started Robin Pilcher's Starburst which, so far, has been entertaining. I've read a few of his other books and enjoyed them--not as much as his mother's (Rosamunde Pilcher) books, but still, they're pretty good. 

Regular Contributor

Just finished reading Nan Rossiter's, More Than You Know. . It's about three sisters who come together to celebrate their mother's life.  In the process they learn so much about her that they didn't know and, at the same time, come to share and overcome many things happening in their own lives .  

Trusted Contributor

Today I finished Extreme Prey by John Sandford.  This is the latest book in the Lucas Davenport series.  Davenport is no longer employed and in this book is a consultant investigating a potential assassination plot against a presidential candidate during the Iowa caucus campaign.  This book is gruesome and violent at times, but the characters are interesting and the plot moves very quickly.  I enjoyed the fact that it is set in my home state of Iowa, especially the great Iowa State Fair. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm reading the Mr and Mrs North mystery series by Frances and Richard Lockridge. Written in the 1940's - 1960's, these are a refreshing look at times past.  Very light with lots of humor.  Mrs. North is a hoot.  I love this series.  All are available as ebooks.

Honored Contributor

just finished RUMORS by Elin Hillenbradt.

quick read and I thought good poolside book -- great ending too. I like her books.

Just started Undercover by Danielle Steele.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

just finished RUMORS by Elin Hillenbradt.

quick read and I thought good poolside book -- great ending too. I like her books.

Just started Undercover by Danielle Steele.

I think you mean ELIN HILDERBRAND and DANIELLE STEEL.  It drives me bananas when authors don't get respect from readers who don't know the proper spelling of names.

Love both their works and Rumors was one of my favorite.  Still catching up w/Danielle Steel's though.  She writes so many books so quickly.

Honored Contributor

@nomless omgosh I read these. I have these. I found them in an old bookstore once. They're in bad shape, hahaha. They used to be on the radio every week. Then it moved to tv, which I didn't like because it's not the way I pictured them.Mr. & Mrs. North, Volume 9

Respected Contributor

@Judaline, aren't the Norths fun?  

BTW, the radio series can be purchased on CD very inexpensively ($5 or so) on eBay.  I have it, but haven't listened to it yet.  I haven't seen the TV series, but I noticed it's available on Amazon.  

I'm thoroughly enjoying working my way through all the books.  ☺

Honored Contributor

@nomless I don't know if I'd want the radio series. It  might make me sad. We can't go back.Woman Sad

Trusted Contributor

I just finished John Sandford's latest, "EXTREME PREY" and thought it was very good.  It was much better than last year's book, "GATHERING PREY", in my opinion.  I feel like he is back on track now.  I am about to start James Patterson's "THE 15TH AFFAIR", which is the new entry in his Women's Murder Club series.  I am excited about 2 new books that are in transit to me:  Elly Griffith's "THE WOMAN IN BLUE" and Elaine Viets' "THE ART OF MURDER".

@SoX:  I have read all of Linda Castillo's Amish mystery series, and they are all very good!