Respected Contributor

What Are You Reading --- May 2016

This book thread is started on the first of each month.

Some suggestions for posting here:

~ underline, bold or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is

~ include the author of the book - there are so many books with the same title (if you are recommending a book we want to make sure we read the right one!)

~ post a few words about the book - would you recommend it or not?

~ tell us the book genre - is it a mystery, romance, historical, biography, etc.

***There is no obligation to do any of the above

------------------------------------------------------

I'm not reading anything right now. I just haven't had any interest in reading lately because I've been busy with other things. Maybe I'll pick up a book later in the month.

Happy reading all! laineyHeart

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- May 2016

[ Edited ]

Still listening to The Trials of Laura Fair: Sex, Murder, and Insanity in the Victorian West, by Carole Haber. Great non-fiction story about a woman who went on trial - twice - for killing her married lover of many years. It deals with the double-standards held against women who are perceived to be of "loose morals" and how men were acquitted for defending their own honor or the honor of their women, but women were not. Laura's defense was hysteria and temporary insanity due to Dysmenorrhea.

Reading Don't Know Much About the Bible: Everything You Need to Know About the Good Book but Never Learned, by Kenneth C Davis. This is a good companion to Our Great Big American God, which I just finished. All of the Don't Know Much About... books are really good.

Respected Contributor

THE RAINBOW COMES AND GOES by Gloria Vanderbilt and Anderson Cooper - biography -

Excellent.  Gloria's childhood so strange and interesting, her marriages, her losses and loves in life - very interesting - just love her and Anderson.  For anyone who has lost a parent early in life - it is interesting to see how that affected each of their lives.  Read in one day - lost my father at age 9 so I related in some ways, but in other ways it affected my life quite differently.  Highly recommend. 

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne copying your question from the end of the April thread:

I just started My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrick Backman.  Not sure about this book yet.  Has anyone else read it?

I did. It's not everyone's cup of tea but I loved it.  It took time to get used to because its so strange and different, but once I got used to that, well, it's one of those books that gets better as you go along and the end is brilliant.   

Valued Contributor

I am just finishing The Revenant.   I loved the movie and the book is also very good.  The movie didn't follow the book exactly and was made more interesting with the changes they added.  The book is based on a true story, but most can't be verified since a lot of the story was passed by word-of-mouth over the years.  An intriguing story just the same.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori wrote:

@DiAnne copying your question from the end of the April thread:

I just started My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrick Backman.  Not sure about this book yet.  Has anyone else read it?

I did. It's not everyone's cup of tea but I loved it.  It took time to get used to because its so strange and different, but once I got used to that, well, it's one of those books that gets better as you go along and the end is brilliant.   

@DiAnne just to give you another perspective.  I wasn't really a fan of the book.  Too much fantasy for me.  But I'm looking forward to his next book, which sounds like it will be about Britt-Marie.

Respected Contributor

I have so many books on my kindle right now, I don't know what to do.  Some of them will have to go back.

I finished The Nursing Home Murder (Ngaio Marsh).  It's very dated but I found it sort of fascinating.

I gave up on The Nest (after about 100 pages).

Now I'm reading The Spellman Files (cute).

And I just started Jane Steele ( a twist on the Jane Eyre story).  It was highly recommended by Sue Grafton.  What could be better than that!

Respected Contributor

I'm reading  X by Sue Grafton.  She's one of my favorite authors.  I've read all her books in alphabetical order and highly recommend them. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Let's see ... I just started on my second book by Linda Castillo ... Sworn to Silence ... in the Kate Burkholder series ("murder in Amish country").   Breaking Silence was such an entertaining and enjoyable first for me,  I thought I'd continue.

Honored Contributor

I finished re-reading Richard Russo's NOBODY'S FOOL this morning in preparation to read his follow-up novel EVERYBODY'S FOOL.  He's an excellent author but he can be wordy.

Next up is a detective novel set in an area I know well, Long Beach, CA.  It's called A KING OF INFINITE SPACE.  

BTW Paul Newman and Jessica Tandy starred in a movie based on Nobody's Fool.