Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? March 2017

The Sisters, by Nancy Jensen

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I had lunch with friends yesterday and there were raves for 2 books I've never even heard of:

Take Me With You

The Color of Secrets

Has anybody read either of these?

Honored Contributor

@sunala, I doubt I would have liked it if I didn't know the true story that happened in Connecticut, which is not this story but served as inspiration.  I would have found it far-fetched. I tend to love books with a lot of characters, books that jump around in place and time, so this was right up my alley. 

Have you ever read "A Yellow Raft in Blue Water?"  Not the same thing at all but one of my favorite books ever, literally on my top list at Goodreads, and for some reason writing this to you reminds me of that book.

Occasional Contributor

I just finished To The Bright Edge of the World by Eowyn Ivey,  which I really like and would give it 4*.  I am now starting Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger.  Happy March reading to allSmiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline I read "Take Me With You", it was a heartwarming story and I enjoyed it very much, it was definitely worth reading!

Honored Contributor

I could not get into The Mistresses Revenge, so I put it down and started BEHIND CLOSED DOORS, and so far very very good. I am sure I will try to read the Mistresses Revenge at a later date!!!!!!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN I had thought of putting "Behind Closed Doors" on my Wish List and then read the reviews and they are so mixed I decided to put it on the back burner.  Please when you finish can you post your review, the subject matter appears to be somewhat controversial as well and I respect your opinion!

Also, we are speaking of the book written by B.A. Paris?

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN I had thought of putting "Behind Closed Doors" on my Wish List and then read the reviews and they are so mixed I decided to put it on the back burner.  Please when you finish can you post your review, the subject matter appears to be somewhat controversial as well and I respect your opinion!

Also, we are speaking of the book written by B.A. Paris?

Yes that is the one by B.A. Paris. I did read mixed reviews, but I haven't gotten into it enough to know exactly what is going on.....It starts off very interesting though and keeps my interest, for me that is very importatn, as I had to put down The Mistresses Revenge, because I could not get interested in it. I will be sure to post a review on this board as well as on Goodreads as soon as I finish!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished reading "Lottery" by Patricia Wood, I enjoyed it!

The main character is Perry L. Crandall a mentally challenged young man who lives with his Gram and works at a boating store with his friend Gary.

As the story progresses Perry wins the state lottery and he soon finds out who his true friends are and what family truly means!

As often times in life it takes the purest of hearts to show people that "Money is not everything" and that Family is everything!

Valued Contributor

I have read almost half of The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers. The book is written as a series of letters sent within the family and legal postings. I'm no wiser about what actually happened to Placidia while her husband was away at war than when I read the first chapter. Keeps you guessing and reading!!!!!

When Major Gryffth Hockaday is called to the front lines of the Civil War, his new bride is left to care for her husband’s three-hundred-acre farm and infant son. Placidia, a mere teenager herself living far from her family and completely unprepared to run a farm or raise a child, must endure the darkest days of the war on her own.
By the time Major Hockaday returns two years later, Placidia is bound for jail, accused of having borne a child in his absence and murdering it. What really transpired in the two years he was away? Inspired by a true incident, this saga conjures the era with uncanny immediacy. Amid the desperation of wartime, Placidia sees the social order of her Southern homeland unravel as her views on race and family are transformed. A love story, a story of racial divide, and a story of the South as it fell in the war, The Second Mrs. Hockaday reveals how that generation--and the next--began to see their world anew.

OOPS, I posted this on the February thread.

@Suziepeach 2016:  Finished last night.  This one was a real page turner for me.  short chapters because of the letter format made it quick read as well.

I would recommend this one.  You will have to post your opinion once you read it.Woman Very Happy