FRIDAY ON MY MIND   NICCI FRENCH

LITTLE DEATHS   EMMA FLINT

MODERN GIRLS   JENNIFER S. BROWN

THE NEARNESS OF YOU   AMANDA EYRE WARD

THE NEWS FROM THE END OF THE WORLD   EMILY JEANNE MILLER

Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? March 2017

[ Edited ]

@Janey2  You listed several books.  Are they all books you would recommend? 

I'm on waitlist for Waiting For Wednesday (Nicci French).

For the Brian Freeman book, did you mean The Night Bird?  If so, what did you think of it?  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finally finished Still Life With Crows (Agent Pendergast #4).  It was very good but very long.  The next one is even longer.

I also read Her Every Fear (Peter Swanson). I was such a huge fan of his last book, The Kind Worth Killing, that I am a little disappointed in this one.  I still think he is a very good writer, though.  Excellent plotting.

Now I'm reading The Nix (Nathan Hill).  Another very long book, lol.

Respected Contributor

Just finished Did You Ever Have a Family by Bill Clegg - excellent book! 

Reading Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen and enjoying it thus far. 

Just picked up The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve and will be reading it later this week.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom-  I just finished reading Fatal, my first John Lescroart book. I enjoyed the first half of the book more than the second half. It kind of got too convoluted to me. It was pretty good though, and I gave it three stars. 

This morning I started reading The Road from Gap Creek by Robert Morgan. I just loved his first book, Gap Creek, and I'm hoping that this will be as good.

Happy reading!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough.  The description is below.  Goodreads rates it 3.8.  It was a page turner.  I read the 300 pages in two days.  You keep wondering what is going to happen next and the ending is definitely a surprise.  LM

Louise is a single mom, a secretary, stuck in a modern-day rut. On a rare night out, she meets a man in a bar and sparks fly. Though he leaves after they kiss, she’s thrilled she finally connected with someone.

When Louise arrives at work on Monday, she meets her new boss, David. The man from the bar. The very married man from the bar…who says the kiss was a terrible mistake but who still can’t keep his eyes off Louise.

And then Louise bumps into Adele, who’s new to town and in need of a friend, but she also just happens to be married to David. David and Adele look like the picture-perfect husband and wife, but then why is David so controlling, and why is Adele so scared of him?

As Louise is drawn into David and Adele’s orbit, she uncovers more puzzling questions than answers. The only thing that is crystal clear is that something in this marriage is very, very wrong, but Louise can’t guess how wrong―and how far a person might go to protect their marriage’s secrets. (less)

Respected Contributor

smoky2016  sorry do not know why I typed nightingale it was The Night Bird. Very different kind of book for Brian Freeman. It was a little (for lack of a better word) spooky.I did like the main character and I think there will be other books with this detective. I enjoyed all the other books I read.

The News From the End of the World, The Nearness of You, and Modern Girls all had to do with family dynamics. Modern Girls told about a jewish family in 1935 so if you do not have that background it might be interesting to read.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal, I loved "Did You Ever Have a Family"!!!

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@LoriLori - telling each person's story separately was a unique way of telling the story.  Loved it!

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@LoriLori

@hoosieroriginal

I read Did You Ever Have a Family last year because of the recommendations on this board. Frankly, I wanted to pull the bookmark a half-dozen times, but I plowed through and finished the whole book. THEN I wished I had pulled the bookmark. I don't know what it was about that book that made me so angry.

Because I read it such a long time ago, I don't remember much except that a house burned down and it was terribly sad. I remember the main character too. I guess maybe that's why I didn't like it, but there was more.

Anyway, I'm glad you two enjoyed it.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett