Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? March 2017

I finished Coffin Road (Peter May).  It was a very good, wonderfully atmospheric mystery set on Scotland's Outer Hebrides.   Highly recommend it.

I'm still reading The Nix (Nathan Hill) and loving it.  I'm about halfway through this 600 page book and so far it's the best book I've read this year.  And I'm enjoying reading it in this leisurely fashion.

I just obtained A Gentleman in Moscow (Amor Towles) and haven't really started it yet.     

Super Contributor

Norse Mytholgy by Neil Gaiman.  I've never read anything by him but heard good things about his writing.  

Esteemed Contributor

This morning I finished The Life we Bury by Allen Eskens. What a book! I really did love it from beginning to end. I loved the relationships Joe had with his brother, Lila and Carl. Everything about the book was outstanding, even though some parts were a stretch.

Love love love this book. Highly recommend to all!

I need a little time for the book to settle in my mind before I move on to the next one. I've got several that I'm looking forward to reading and don't know where to start.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

Finished The Hope Chest by Viola Shipman which I won from Goodreads.  A great book which was sad but yet uplifting.

Going to read Nina George The Little French Bistro which was a LibraryThing win.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished reading "The Good Girl" by Mary Kubica another book I enjoyed!

The story revolves around a character named Mia Dennet who is kidnapped and is supposed to be handed over to a third party to collect the ransom money, however her kidnapper decides to not turn her over and brings her to Minnesota to a remote cabin in the dead of winter.

The story highlights the relationship she develops with her kidnapper, how her mother and the lead detective develop a kinship to bring Mia back home safely, and her father a man who is callous, ruthless and has a difficult time showing love.

The story goes back and forth between "Before" the kidnapping and "After" the kidnapping and the ending had me at a total surprise!

Esteemed Contributor

@SWEET Thank you for highlighting this book, our library has this on order and I put in a request for it, it sounds like a heartwarming, tug at your heart strings kind of a book, I look forward to reading it!

Valued Contributor

I finished Faye Kellerman's latest Bone Box.  I've read all of her Decker series and enjoyed them.  Not this one. It was disjointed and not the usual well done Kellerman.  The interaction between Rina and Decker was off.  The ending was .....well it was not.  It seemed like the book just stopped, nothing was wrapped up. 

Looking for another, better book!

Valued Contributor

@bella-luna wrote:

Thanks @ChynnaBlue! The new Paperwhite is much snappier than my 1st Gen - yay!

I'm reading Triptych by Karin Slaughter. This is a new author for me and I'm only one chapter in, but I'm liking it so far. It's your standard detective/murder stuff, which is my go-to. Smiley Happy

Here's a blurb from Goodreads:

In the city of Atlanta, women are dying—at the hands of a killer who signs his work with a single, chilling act of mutilation. Leaving behind enough evidence to fuel a frenzied police hunt, this cunning madman is bringing together dozens of lives, crossing the boundaries of wealth and race. And the people who are chasing him must cross those boundaries too. Among them is Michael Ormewood, a veteran detective whose marriage is hanging by a thread—and whose arrogance and explosive temper are threatening his career. And Angie Polaski, a beautiful vice cop who was once Michael's lover before she became his enemy.

But another player has entered the game: a loser ex-con who has stumbled upon the killer's trail in the most coincidental of ways—someone who may be the key to breaking the case wide open...

Karin Slaughter is excellent.  Highly recommend her!

Super Contributor

I finished Triptych (Karin Slaughter) and woah...what a ride! At 512 pages, it's a bit of a chunker (for me) but I couldn't put it down - lol.  It can be slightly graphic in a few parts, so just an FYI in case that kinda thing bothers you. I gave it 4 out 5 stars on Goodreads! Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

I just finished reading "The Good Girl" by Mary Kubica another book I enjoyed!

The story revolves around a character named Mia Dennet who is kidnapped and is supposed to be handed over to a third party to collect the ransom money, however her kidnapper decides to not turn her over and brings her to Minnesota to a remote cabin in the dead of winter.

The story highlights the relationship she develops with her kidnapper, how her mother and the lead detective develop a kinship to bring Mia back home safely, and her father a man who is callous, ruthless and has a difficult time showing love.

The story goes back and forth between "Before" the kidnapping and "After" the kidnapping and the ending had me at a total surprise!

@CareBears-  I wasn't sure if I read this until I read your description, and I remembered I did. I really enjoyed this book, and was very happy about part of the ending and very sad about another part. Thanks for reminding me how much I enjoyed it!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett