Esteemed Contributor

What Are You Reading? March 2017

Happy March to all of our reading friends! (Wasn't it just New Years??)

Welcome to the new members of our group. Here are some of the suggestions that have been requested...

Underline, "bold" or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is.

Include the author of the book - first and last name. There are so many books with the same title (if you are recommending a book, we want to make sure we read the right one!)

Post a few words about the book - would you recommend it or not, and why. No need to post the cover.

Tell us the book genre - is it fiction, a mystery, romance, historical fiction, biography, memoir, or any other type of book.

Of course, there is no obligation to do any of the above, but it makes life easier for all of us. 

If you have any suggestions, please let me know, as we’re always open to new ideas!

Have a great month, and happy reading to all!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Regular Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? March 2017

I am reading Brambleberry House by Raaeanne Thayne.  She is a great writer.  I ennjoy her books.

Super Contributor

After listening to friends rave about John Sandford's Lucas Davenport books, I decided to read the first one.  Loved it.  Reading them in order.  Now on book #5 - I think he just published #26, so I have a long way to go.

Planning on a trip to Barnes & Noble for the newest M. C. Beaton book and Charles Todd's newest.  Also, Jacqueline Winspear and Ann Perry are coming out with new books this month.  Looking forward to a lot of reading.

Super Contributor

enjoyed
Girl Who Wrote in Silk by Kelli Estes

starting
I'm Too Young to Be Seventy and Other Delusions by Judith Viorst (book of poems)
and
Sight Unseen by Johansen & Johansen
(#2, Kendra Michaels series/an apparent traffic accident on San Diego's historic Cabrillo Bridge is in fact a murder scene/ library CDs)

Honored Contributor

The Slippery Year a mediation on happily ever after, by Melanie Gideon

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

COME RAIN OR COME SHINE by Jan Karon, the 11th book in the Mitford series....absolutely love this series!

Respected Contributor

Reading Daniel Silva, The English Spy, one in a series of fictional mysteries featuring a prominent art restorer who is also the top Israeli assassin.  

Intertwines Israeli, British and American intelligence agencies.  Back stories include encounters with Arafat, Russian arms dealers, stolen artifacts, and subterranean architectural discoveries.  

Never dull reading.  Not necessary to read in sequence as author gives you a very brief explanation of the setting and backstory.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am reading the book WILD  written by Cheryl Strayed.

It was published in 2012.   A movie came out about it last year   with Reese Witherspoon  playing the part as the author.

The book is beautifully written. It is  about a woman finding her way and herself by hiking the pacific Crest Trail for four months by herself. and I am really enjoying it.

I will see the movie after I read the book.  Movies usually disappoint after the book, but I really like Reese Witherspoon and can see her doing a fantastic job  playing the author in the book

Trusted Contributor

Just finished M. C. Beaton's latest Hamish Macbeth cozy mystery, "DEATH OF A GHOST", which was okay.  She's written better, frankly.  Now about to start Joanne Fluke's latest Hannah Swensen cozy mystery, "BANANA CREAM PIE MURDER".

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am reading Sister Citizen: Sister Citizen: Shame, Stereotypes, and Black Women in America, by Melissa V. Harris-Perry. It's a non-fiction books about the stereotypes of black women (Jezebel, Mammy, angry black woman) and the effects those stereotypes have. I'm about 50% through and it's very interesting so far. 

Prior to that, I finished re-reading George Orwell's 1984. I read it in high school, but it was interesting to read it again ad an adult with more life experience and knowledge.