Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? March 2017

[ Edited ]

Finished California Dreamin': Cass Elliot Before The Mamas and The Papas by Penelope Bagieu.  I have to admit I've never read a graphic novel before and it was just like reading a comic book -- artistry and all and easy to read which is why I finished it in a day.  

Going to read The F Word by Liza Palmer, a GR win.

Super Contributor

Reading A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles.  So far so good.

Honored Contributor

@skyblue wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

I've been pulling bookmarks like crazy. Finally settled on Dream Lovers -the story of Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee. It's heavy reading, meaning it's going to take a long time to read it, but it had me from the get go. He was quite a character. Get this. My library has this but I just couldn't ''request'' it on their site, so I called. They said 'yes, it's a reference book and is at the main library for perusal. But you can't take it out.' I said, 'but it's not a reference book, it's a novel!' She said, 'nonetheless.' Did you ever?It's like it's sacred or something, which it isn't. So I had to go to the Abe bookstore and buy it. It's nice to have-goes along with my other favorite actors books on my bookshelf. Just color me curious.

Seriously? @Judaline A reference book?😳 

I know. I have stopped trying to figure it out.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished In the Name of the Family by Sarah Dunant last night.  I love Dunant's books, and this was no exception.

If you enjoy historical fiction, this account of the Borgia family will keep you turning pages!

My next read is David Guterson's  Snow Falling on Cedars:

San Piedro Island, north of Puget Sound, is a place so isolated that no one who lives there can afford to make enemies. But in 1954 a local fisherman is found suspiciously drowned, and a Japanese American named Kabuo Miyamoto is charged with his murder. In the course of the ensuing trial, it becomes clear that what is at stake is more than a man's guilt. For on San Pedro, memory grows as thickly as cedar trees and the fields of ripe strawberries--memories of a charmed love affair between a white boy and the Japanese girl who grew up to become Kabuo's wife; memories of land desired, paid for, and lost. Above all, San Piedro is haunted by the memory of what happened to its Japanese residents during World War II, when an entire community was sent into exile while its neighbors watched. Gripping, tragic, and densely atmospheric, Snow Falling on Cedars is a masterpiece of suspense-- one that leaves us shaken and changed.

Honored Contributor

@pateacher, "Snow Falling on Cedars" is a beautiful book.  The story is compelling and the prose is beautiful.  Enjoy!  I did not like the movie.  It tells the story but suffers from missng Guterson's lovely descriptive passages.

Valued Contributor

@LoriLori  Thanks for  your recommendation.  I am hoping to start the book tonight..

Trusted Contributor

I read The One in a Million Boy by Monica Wood. Has anyone else read this? It's about a boy who is assigned by his Scout troop to help a 104 year old woman with some household chores. It's a lovely gentle book that grows on you as you read it. I found the ending to be both wonderful and heartbreaking. I think the writing calls out to you to slow down and savor the words. I really enjoyed this book and have been thinking about it ever since I finished it. I hope if anyone else reads it that they will enjoy it too.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hellloooo!

I finally finished Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters. I liked it a lot, but there were a couple days that I didn't even pick it up. 

Hey @pateacher I recently picked up Snow Falling on Cedars at my library's bookshop! I would ask if you'd like to do a buddy read, but I won't...onaccounta you're Speedy Gonzales and I'm Yertle the Turtle! Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

Today I finished Man Overboard by JA Jance.  It is the newest book in her Ali Reynolds series.  I really like her books,  especially her ongoing characters, but this one was not my favorite.  One of the main "characters" in this book is an artificial intelligence computer.  I am not a computer geek and I just could not relate to that.  But the storyline was interesting and overall I recommend it.  

Trusted Contributor

@sandy53 - I just finished "MAN OVERBOARD" by J. A. Jance last night as well, and like you, thought it was pretty good.  The artificial intelligence character Frigg seemed very unrealistic to me; could a computer really do all those things, alone?  I like her J. P. Beaumont series the best, then the Sheriff Joanna Brady books, and then finally the Ali Reynolds series.