Frequent Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? March 2017

@LoriLori      I  enjoy your messages about Frederik Backman and  really think he owes you a big hug, let's face it, a lot of us read A Man Called Ove  when you mentioned it a couple (ahem) of times several months ago. His sales sky rocketed and he gained so many fans. I was in a store last week and before I could pick up one of his books, the name LoriLori recommended it.  He is a great author.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mcbet, awwwww, thanks!!!!!  I couldn't just hug him, I'd have to kiss LOL. 

Was looking at something on Goodreads yesterday and to my surprise, I saw that I finished and reviewed Ove on October 3, 2015. 

As happened all over America I think a few people read it when they read my post, then they raved, and a few snowballs became an avalanche because the book is so wonderful.

I wish I could remember how I stumbled upon it but I'm soooo glad I did, it's one of my all-time favorite books.

Whoever on these boards read the book because I introduced it, I'm so happy, that is the best thing possibly the only good thing I've done in many years around here!!!

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

Was looking at something on Goodreads yesterday and to my surprise, I saw that I finished and reviewed Ove on October 3, 2015. 

As happened all over America I think a few people read it when they read my post, then they raved, and a few snowballs became an avalanche because the book is so wonderful.

I wish I could remember how I stumbled upon it but I'm soooo glad I did, it's one of my all-time favorite books.

Whoever on these boards read the book because I introduced it, I'm so happy, that is the best thing possibly the only good thing I've done in many years around here!!!

Me! Me! Me!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Finished The Little French Bistro by Nina George, a Librarything win.  It was just ok. 

Update as of 3/23:  Going to read California Dreamin': Cass Elliott Before The Mamas & The Papas by Penelope Bagieu that I won from Goodreads.  It's a graphic novel which to me looks like a comic book.  I've read so many books in my lifetime and never read this type.  Should be fast reading due to the format.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Judaline wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

Whoever on these boards read the book because I introduced it, I'm so haHeartppy, that is the best thing possibly the only good thing I've done in many years around here!!!

Me! Me! Me!

I read and reviewed it on amazon back in 2014.  I think I did mention then on the forums that I read it.  I'm lucky I received an advanced copy of Beartown without even requesting it.   Hope it's as good as his other books.HeartHeartHeartSmiley WinkSmiley WinkSmiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@lovescats Please review Beartown when you are finished I can hardly wait to get my hands on it!

Respected Contributor

I'm reading My (not so) Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella.  So far I really like it and have laughed out loud at certain parts.  It takes place in England. 

Esteemed Contributor

@AnnT wrote:

I have just finished ORDINARY GRACE by William Kent Krueger, for my own experience I will give it 3*, I guess I just got a little bored with it although most loved it, " small town and murder in the summer of 1967".  I am now reading GOOD OMENS by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchet,

"According to The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (the world's only completely accurate book of prophecies, written in 1655, before she exploded), the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. Just before dinner."

Happy reading to allSmiley Happy

@AnnT I would give that book 20 stars if I could. I loved it and love his books. I'm going to start on his Cork O'Connor series one of these days. 

Some books just stay with us long after we've read the last page. Ordinary Grace was one of them. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished reading "We Were The Lucky Ones" by "Georgia Hunter" where do I even begin?

I tend to stay away from books about the Holocaust, as I am so bothered by the atrocities done to other human beings simply due to their religious beliefs, and also what was done to people who tried to help those in need, but I decided to tackle this book as it is based on the Kurc family and their desire to survive at all costs!

This story is based on true events and is told by the granddaughter of one of the original Kurc family members, in it she follows each family member from pre-war, during the war, and post-war with an authors note (which is a must read).

Before almost every chapter she cites dates and actual reports of historical happenings of where and what was happening, I had to put the book down several times after reading the death toll numbers, I know it is part of our world history and we must never forget the people who lost their lives to pure evil, we as a world can never allow this to ever happen again!

This is a beautiful story written about the love of a family and the bravery each family member drew from deep within themselves by never forgetting the love they had for one another!

Esteemed Contributor

@chihuahuamom wrote:

I was at the library today to see if they had gotten in Joel Rosenberg's new book Without Warning.  His books are very good. They hadn't. Smiley Sad   Also would love to read The Orphan's Tale by Pam........forgot the last name. I saw it on Amazon and they synopsis was intriguing. Our library doesn't have it.

@chihuahuamom I'm reading The Orphan's Tale by Pam Jenoff. I'm enjoying it a lot, although I'm only 18% into the book. I love her books!

I also enjoy Joel Rosenberg when I'm in the mood for that type of book. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett