Trusted Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? March 2017

I read At Home on Ladybug farm by Donna Ball. I am enjoying this series quite a bit. These books are nothing too serious-a nice easy read.

I also read Before the Fall by Noah Hawley. I don't know exactly how to catagorize it-and it's not what I expected but I did think it was good.

A small private jet crashes in the ocean and everyone on board dies except a four year old boy and a struggling artist. The book takes you through the events leading up to the crash and tells the back story of each person on board before you get to the conclusion and find out what caused the crash.

@LoriLori I have read the first three Flavia books and I find her to be quite an interesting character. I plan on reading the rest of the series.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Respected Contributor

I am reading UMBRELLA MAN by Willow Rose.  I love her stories, they are so different from other authors.  They tend to be mystery/thrillers and have a rather bizarre undertone, that's hard to describe. 

I am reading on my Kindle.

Honored Contributor

THE LOTTERY by Patricia Wood was a quick, enjoyable read with an interesting main character,   

I've started BRIGHTON by Michael Harvey.

@sunala, I thought about you this morning while watching Bobby Flay's cooking show.  I never knew there was such a thing as a black and white donut.  😀

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

THE LOTTERY by Patricia Wood was a quick, enjoyable read with an interesting main character,   

I've started BRIGHTON by Michael Harvey.

@sunala, I thought about you this morning while watching Bobby Flay's cooking show.  I never knew there was such a thing as a black and white donut.  😀

@tansy - that's funny! I've never heard of a black and white donut, but I guess there are lots of black and white sweet treats that I've never heard of. Over the years we've bought black and white cakes, which are like bundt cakes with yellow cake inside and covered with vanilla and chocolate icing. Not nearly as good as the cookies, but it's nice for guests who don't like fancy oversweet desserts. 

Thanks for letting me know!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Valued Contributor

I was at the library today to see if they had gotten in Joel Rosenberg's new book Without Warning.  His books are very good. They hadn't. Smiley Sad   Also would love to read The Orphan's Tale by Pam........forgot the last name. I saw it on Amazon and they synopsis was intriguing. Our library doesn't have it.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori@sunala Well, I was right-kinda, sorta. A little girl who solves mysteries. lori, your synopsis was wonderful. I have to agree with sunny-so many wonderful books out there that I want to read. Maybe one day Flavia, but not now. Just not into it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am reading Arthur C Clarke Time  Series Book 1.  I think its Time's Eye  It is a good book,  not as good as the Space Oddasey series ( yet) but its very good.  I am on book 1 so I can not judge yet.  I really love Arthur C Clarks  novels.  He is quite a story teller.

I love  science fiction especially when  its not far from science fact or science possibility. 

I want to mention that I love my Kindle Voyage. I never enjoyed  books till I got an ereader. I can not stand physical books for some reason. With the voyage I can fit housands of books in my purse. So much easier to carry around and read on the go

Honored Contributor

@Judaline, thanks!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm almost finished with Fredrik Backman's "And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer." 

It's a novella and well worth the money.  Backman is unbelievably gifted and what a heart that guy has.  Every book of his comes from a place of kindness, tenderness and understanding.   

This book deals with dementia.  It's a very intimate portrait of an older man losing his memory and his relationship with his young grandson.  He wants to be remembered by him and more than that even he wants the boy to understand what it's like for him, which as it plays out is extraordinary, like a prose poem.  There are also deeply touching moments in which the man remembers or imagines his late wife speaking with him. 

It's only 76 pages but every word is perfectly placed.  I'm sure everyone knows someone dealing with this or who has dealt with it and Backman's book is so wise, I know I will be gifting it and re-reading it and people will still be reading it in a hundred years, if there are people left on the planet.

ETA:  Finished.  AMAZING BOOK. 

Honored Contributor

Speaking of Backman, in addition to Ove and My Grandmother and Britt-Marie and The Way Home, I read there are four other books already out in Sweden and Atria has bought them all, so we will be enjoying his unique sensibility and deft way with words for a long time. 

I wish his blog was translated into English; it's not.

There aren't a lot of English-language interviews with him.  A google produced this from the NY Times in October (before Ove hit the top ten on the NY Times list for the second time, and it's stayed there), it's a sparse interview but worth it because he tells how he came up with Ove:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/29/books/a-man-called-ove-fredrik-backman-sweden-success.html?_r=0

I want to marry this man!  I want to wake up with him every morning and see the world through his eyes every day.  I am one smitten kitten.