Trusted Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- June 2015 (Part 2)

Casting about for something to read...

I have started All I Love and Know by Judith Frank.  It's slow going and not sure I'm going to stick with it.  The writing is tedious and I'm not interested in the subject matter.  I don't remember where or how I came by this book choice.  I will admit it's my fault for not knowing anything about what the novel is about since I'm not a "flap reader" (nod to Insomniac), LOL!

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Honored Contributor

@Mayflowers wrote:

Just finished the audiobook The Goldfinch by Donna Tart.  Although it was very long and sometimes wordy, I really enjoyed the book.  The ending was not great, but I'm glad I listened to it.

It is the kind of book that stays with you. I also listened to Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen and also really enjoyed it.  Would recommend both of these books.

Isn't this supposed to be a movie? (Goldfinch) If it is, Netflix doesn't have it.

Trusted Contributor

Since it's Summer, I decided to try some light chick lit. I started reading Friday Nights by Joanna Trollope. This book just didn't connect with me at all. Before I knew it, I was skipping chapters just to see if it would improve. Nope, it stayed dull and I didn't like the characters. I gave up on it and am returning it to the library today. It's been a long time since I didn't finish a book but I've learned there are too many good ones out there to suffer thru one I'm not enjoying at all.

Respected Contributor

I'm reading The Bookseller by Cynthia Swanson. She has a vivid dream of another life and keeps having the dreams. It takes place in 1963. So far it's excellent.
I don't think The Goldfinch has been made into a movie yet. That's another book I want to read.
Respected Contributor

I finished Grey by E.L. James. The reviews are so-so but I enjoyed it. It's book one, retold by Christian's point of view. It contains a lot of the first book in it (and I mean word for word) but it does give you a better idea of what's going on in Christian's head, and a little more insight about why he's the way he is. For any true fans of the Fifty Shades series, I recommend it.

And now that I finished that, I couldn't remember what happened after the end of Book 1, so now I'm re-reading Fifty Shades Darker by E.L. James.  It will be a quick read.

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]
Just finished FINDERS KEEPERS by Stephen King. I thought it was good but not as good as MR. MERCEDES. Anyone else read this?

I just downloaded ABDICATION by Juliet Nicolson which is all about King Edward and Wallis Simpson. A complete change of pace! LM
Valued Contributor

I just finished The Gods of Gotham by Lindsay Faye.  It's a murder mystery based in NYC in the mid 1800s and is about a young man who becomes a police officer by accident.  Enjoyed it and there are apparently 2 sequels.  

Now reading Americanah by Chimamanda Adichie and it's about a young Nigerian woman and her boyfriend who separate (she heads to the US and he to London) and what it means to be black in a new country.  It's very well written and the author has done a great job of making me understand the difficult transition moving to this country must be.  

I am listening to a series of great summer reads (author would probably disagree on this) called the Dresden Files by Jim Buthcher.  Main character is a wizard in Chicago who helps the Chicago PD with the "bad" elements in the fairy world.  Has vampires too!  I am having a good time listening to these books.

Valued Contributor

Just finished The Art Of Hearing Heartbeats/Jan-Phillip Sedker, a fairly quick and enjoyable read.   Just this morning started Big Stone Gap/Adriana Trigiani.  So far, so good. 

Maria

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:
Just finished FINDERS KEEPERS by Stephen King. I thought it was good but not as good as MR. MERCEDES. Anyone else read this?

I just downloaded ABDICATION by Juliet Nicolson which is all about King Edward and Wallis Simpson. A complete change of pace! LM

I'm in process of reading it now. Wish he would go back to 'Carrie' scary type of books. I want to be scared. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Sharke, I'm just the opposite.  I love the non scary.  I used to love the scary but not so much any more.  He's a good writer for sure.  LM