Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- February 2016l

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

The Edible Woman, by Margaet Atwood and Leaving Orbit: Notes from the Last Days of American Spaceflight, by Margaret Lazarus Dean.

The first is a book club pick and I am not enjoying it at all. Every single character is insufferable. I am enjoying the second book much more.

@ChynnaBlue, I don't really like Margaret Atwood.  I read a couple of her books, mostly at my sister's insistence, and I just stopped.  I found her depressing.  Enough of that IRL to be getting it during my greatest pleasure ... Reading!  LM

I can cope with depressing if it's a good story. This would have been better as a short story, I think. Instead it was page after page filled with characters who were all entirely self-absorbed (to the detriment of themselves and others) and pretentious. Not a single character had a redeeming value, they were all terrible. Even in the very first chapter the main character talks about being morally superior to her friend and it just gets worse from there.

I really like Margaret Atwood herself, but, like you, I don't think I like her books.

@ChynnaBlue, have at her in book club!!!  LM

Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- February 2016

[ Edited ]

Finishing up Alexandra Kleeman's YOU TOO CAN HAVE A BODY LIKE MINE. 

It had great buzz and looked interesting, this first novel by a highly-praised millenial.  I love Margaret Atwood's "The Edible Woman" and thought it might be a fresh take on those themes.   But it's nothing like that.  It's totally shallow and the writing style reminds me -- seriously -- of GO DOG GO.

Contributor

judaline,

You are safe to read it.  it's excellent!

Honored Contributor

@Starlagirl Thank you! I really appreciate it.

Contributor

I finished The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah...what a wonderful book!!!  I didn't want it to end!

Now reading Tiny Little Thing by Beatriz Williams...really good book so far!!!

Respected Contributor

@baseballmom21 wrote:

I finished The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah...what a wonderful book!!!  I didn't want it to end!

Now reading Tiny Little Thing by Beatriz Williams...really good book so far!!!

@auburndawne I am next in line on the wait list for The Nightingale.  I loved the third and final book in the Schuler sisters' trilogy Tiny Little Thing! Great books!Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

It had great buzz and looked interesting, this first novel by a highly-praised millenial.  I love Margaret Atwood's "The Edible Woman" and thought it might be a fresh take on those themes.   But it's nothing like that.  It's totally shallow and the writing style reminds me -- seriously -- of GO DOG GO.

Wow! Woman Surprised Sounds awful! @LoriLori

Honored Contributor

@skyblue wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

Wow! Woman Surprised Sounds awful! @LoriLori

I should have known better than to get it. The characters' "names" are A, B and C.  

Valued Contributor

I am reading David Baldacci's Guilty.  So far it has captivated me. I also read his Memory Man lately, and it was very good.

Respected Contributor

@skyblue wrote:

@smoky22 If you go into to your library's ebooks link, you may be able to download an ePub version and read it via the Bluefire reader app. Woman Happy

@skyblue I had to look up Bluefire and I'm still not sure I understand what it is exactly.  I can get epub books from my library through the Overdrive App on my Kindle Fire (or my smartphone).  My library doesn't have this book yet in any format.  I'm sure they will get it eventually. Thanks for the suggestion.  There is so much out there that I don't know!