Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- February 2016

@Lilysmom wrote:

@skyblue wrote:

I really enjoyed The Flying Circus by Susan Crandall. I have read Whistling Past the Graveyard, but I am not familiar with her other books. Guess I will check into them.

@skyblue, good to know.  I have this waiting in the wings.  LM

@Lilysmom I had to chase this book down at two libraries. They had a copy, but it never made it on the floor! So sad because it's a wonderful book!  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Respected Contributor

@skyblue and @Lilysmom My library doesn't have The Flying Circus either.  I've requested that they get it but so far no luck.  I enjoyed Whistling Past the Graveyard, too.  It looks like all of Susan Crandall's other books (nine, I think) are part of a series.

Respected Contributor

@Lady Elaine wrote:

I've been reading the Charlotte and Thomss Pitt series by Anne Perry. It's a series of myster/crime novels set in Victorian London featuring a police inspector and his wife who helps out on his cases somewhat clandestinely. 

@Lady Elaine I just finished Cardington Crescent, the 8th book in this series.  Up to now, I've preferred the William Monk series (and I've read all of them), but this one with Charlotte and Thomas Pitt was really good.  

Respected Contributor

I finished The Monster in the Box (Ruth Rendell) that provides so much interesting background information on Inspector Wexford.  It was a very satisfying, intricately plotted story.  I'm so sad there are only two Inspector Wexford's left for me to read.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Edible Woman, by Margaet Atwood and Leaving Orbit: Notes from the Last Days of American Spaceflight, by Margaret Lazarus Dean.

The first is a book club pick and I am not enjoying it at all. Every single character is insufferable. I am enjoying the second book much more.

Frequent Contributor

I haven't read the William Monk series yet.  I'll definitely try them out though!  Thanks for responding @smoky22.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@skyblue and @Lilysmom My library doesn't have The Flying Circus either.  I've requested that they get it but so far no luck.  I enjoyed Whistling Past the Graveyard, too.  It looks like all of Susan Crandall's other books (nine, I think) are part of a series.

@smoky22 If you go into to your library's ebooks link, you may be able to download an ePub version and read it via the Bluefire reader app. Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

The Edible Woman, by Margaet Atwood and Leaving Orbit: Notes from the Last Days of American Spaceflight, by Margaret Lazarus Dean.

The first is a book club pick and I am not enjoying it at all. Every single character is insufferable. I am enjoying the second book much more.

@ChynnaBlue, I don't really like Margaret Atwood.  I read a couple of her books, mostly at my sister's insistence, and I just stopped.  I found her depressing.  Enough of that IRL to be getting it during my greatest pleasure ... Reading!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

I am reading The Camelot Wives recommended above.  (Jackie, Ethel and Joan).  It is early days but a good start.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@ChynnaBlue, I don't really like Margaret Atwood.  I read a couple of her books, mostly at my sister's insistence, and I just stopped.  I found her depressing.  Enough of that IRL to be getting it during my greatest pleasure ... Reading!  LM

I can cope with depressing if it's a good story. This would have been better as a short story, I think. Instead it was page after page filled with characters who were all entirely self-absorbed (to the detriment of themselves and others) and pretentious. Not a single character had a redeeming value, they were all terrible. Even in the very first chapter the main character talks about being morally superior to her friend and it just gets worse from there.

I really like Margaret Atwood herself, but, like you, I don't think I like her books.