Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- February 2016

Just started reading Anne Tyler.  Read A SPOOL OF BLUE THREAD, DIGGING TO AMERICA, and PATCHWORK PLANET.  On to another one!

Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:
Along the Infinite SeaBeatrize Williams

The Forgotten Room: A NovelBeatrize Williams, Karen White, and Lauren Willig

Both excellent books.

Anything written by Beatrize Williams is a outstanding read!  One of my all-time favorite authors.  

Valued Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:
Along the Infinite SeaBeatrize Williams

The Forgotten Room: A NovelBeatrize Williams, Karen White, and Lauren Willig

Both excellent books.

Anything written by Beatrize Williams is a outstanding read!  One of my all-time favorite authors.  

@BornToShop  Finished Along the Infinite Sea yesterday.  I agree with your assessment of Williams' books.

I am now reading Coal River by Ellen Marie Wiseman.  I chose this book because it is set in a fictional mining town in Pennsylvania.  I live in southwestern Pennsylvania.  My grandfathers mined the coal that made Pittsburgh, the steel city. So far nothing that taps into my memories, except for the company store.  In our area, people once lived in company houses, the prototype for the duplex. The housing was owned by the steel companies and located close to the mines.  

Respected Contributor

Just finished Brotherhood in Death by J.D. Robb, the latest in the series and pretty typical of the series.

Up next is Breakdown by Jonathan Kellerman.  I agree with @GingerPeach that I don't like Jesse Kellerman's books.

My virtual shelf is also holding Both Ends of the Night by Marcia Muller and Loving Eleanor by Susan Wittig Albert, both books waiting to be read.

Frequent Contributor

Well, sometimes the reviewers get it wrong! LOL! Well, at least, in my opinion, for "Dear Daughter" they did. Written by Elizabeth Little as her debut mystery, it is a "whodunit" told by a cynical, smart aleck protagonist trying to track down who killed her mother, only after said daughter spent 10 years in prison for it. It only received 3.5 stars, but I would give it 5!

Honored Contributor

I finished The 100-Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.

It's a really fun book.  I drags a little at times but most of the time it's very entertaining and even laugh-out-loud funny.  I loved the end.  This book is a good time.  

Paging @skyblue, I definitely recommend it.

Respected Contributor

I finished Fates and Furies (Lauren Groff).  The first part (Fates) is boring and pretentious and I thought I should just let this book go.  But the reviews kept nagging at me so I finally got to Furies, and wow, what a difference. 

The 2nd part (Furies) is quite compelling.  I still don't like the characters and I would not call it the best book of 2015, but overall, it was definitely interesting.  I guess that means it gets 3 stars since only half the book is well written, in my opinion.  Don't even start this book unless you plan to read all of it.

Valued Contributor

@smoky22  So glad that you posted.  I have had this book on my wishlist but, for some reason, have hesitated.  Let us know if you continue to enjoy it.

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

I finished The 100-Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.

It's a really fun book.  I drags a little at times but most of the time it's very entertaining and even laugh-out-loud funny.  I loved the end.  This book is a good time.  

Paging @skyblue, I definitely recommend it.

Sounds great! @LoriLori! Thanks for the review, and remembering to tag me! I am adding it to my list.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pateacher I did finish the book.  I wouldn't say I enjoyed it.  But if you start the book, you really need to read all of it before you can accurately rate it.   The 2nd part (Furies) is the real story.