Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- April 2016

@Yahooey wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

Reading "The Shell Seekers" by Rosalind Pilcher.  My first book by her, so far so good.

I read Shell Seekers decades ago and I remembered the feeling while reading the book. I wanted to live in that home with the gardens. Was it a cottage on a hillside? I may just have to revisit it. I don't reread books and I usually don't remember the plots but I just felt good reading the book. 

@Yahooey, I'm only one-fifth of the way through but so far a gorgeous cottage built into a hillside in Ibiza, a beautiful thatched cottage with full garden on a river in the Cotswolds.  Country homes visited like small Downton Abbeys...I want to live in this book!!!!  I love her descriptions of the homes and gardens, it's my favorite part of the book so far.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Yahooey wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

Reading "The Shell Seekers" by Rosalind Pilcher.  My first book by her, so far so good.

I read Shell Seekers decades ago and I remembered the feeling while reading the book. I wanted to live in that home with the gardens. Was it a cottage on a hillside? I may just have to revisit it. I don't reread books and I usually don't remember the plots but I just felt good reading the book. 

@Yahooey, I'm only one-fifth of the way through but so far a gorgeous cottage built into a hillside in Ibiza, a beautiful thatched cottage with full garden on a river in the Cotswolds.  Country homes visited like small Downton Abbeys...I want to live in this book!!!!  I love her descriptions of the homes and gardens, it's my favorite part of the book so far.

@LoriLori I will be your neighbor - We can plant flowers and I will give you some tomatoes when they are ripe off the vine. The descriptions were magical. I will have to reread the book.

th.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey, hi neighbor!  Now a lovely place in Cornwall has entered the story.  I want to live everywhere at once!   Especially at Podmore's Thatch in the Cotswolds.  (But I could never hang my laundry in the garden to dry, no matter how wondeful it smells drying on the line, in the fresh air, for fear of incoming from the birdies!)...

So we'll make plans, go, point at the cottages we want, sign the papers, pay from our magical suitcases full of money.  it'll be a snap.  Isn't it marvelous how reading can lift you right out of your chair and into a beautiful new place.

Valued Contributor

Just finished THE WIDOW by Fiona Barton - it was an excellent, hard to put down, read.  A psychological thriller / mystery.  This was her first novel and I hope she has more coming.

Anyone else out there read this book?  What did you think? 

Super Contributor

Finished TELL NO ONE by HARLAN COBEN.  Loved it.  As usual many twists & turns.

Trusted Contributor

I just finished reading Where They Found Her by Kimberley McCreight. Now I have started reading The Residence about what goes on behind the scenes in the White House.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor

I finished The Swans of Fifth Avenue by Melanie Benjamin which was an OK read.  Certainly a different lifestyle from mine!

I just started My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrick Backman.  Not sure about this book yet.  Has anyone else read it?

Respected Contributor

Finished A Blessed Event by Jean Reynolds Page. 

Onto Barbra (nf) by Neal Gabler which I won on Goodreads.  Looking forward to reading this one.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished The Lion's Game by Nelson DeMille and have embarked on another of his books The Lion.  I really love his books (at least the John Corey books) and have lost a lot of sleep over them!Woman Happy  I won't stop until I have read every one. Tansy, you were right-he has quite an assortrment of books.

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I finished The Swans of Fifth Avenue by Melanie Benjamin which was an OK read.  Certainly a different lifestyle from mine!

I just started My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrick Backman.  Not sure about this book yet.  Has anyone else read it?

@DiAnne, I enjoyed THE SWANS OF FIFTH AVENUE.  It was a different kind of book than I usually read.  Kind of a gossipy book about high society.  A nice change of pace.  LM