Trusted Contributor

Suffering from Downton Abbey withdrawal yet?

Just discovered a non-fiction account of a real-life resident of Highclere Castle, written by the present owner of The Castle, Countess of Carnarvon. The book is titled:  Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey. Some of the information is boring & mundane, but much of the information gives us a peek into real life of both upstairs and downstairs staff and royalty, such as it was. An interesting observation made about titled residents of The Castle was that the Castle owned the family and not the other way around. Very interesting read so far & I would recommend to anyone craving a look into this type of life (I think even Carson would approve).

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Suffering from Downton Abbey withdrawal yet?

For those suffering from Downton Abbey withdrawal, there is a Christmas Ball at Highclere in December.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Oh yes-I am craving the Abbey!!!! If you need a "fix", might I suggest "Secrets of Highclere Castle"? It originally aired on PBS, as did "More Manners of DA": I haven't seen that yet, but taped it.

I have seen a UK version of DA being sold in the PBS catalogue "Signals" and there are so many more hours than what we saw: what did they see that we didn't?

I love these dramas: I just don't have it in me to sit down in front of the TV much these days: I would rather read.  That being said, I am really interested in "The Forsyte Saga"

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

I'm so excited about the ball-I must start shopping today, and send my tiara out for cleaning!Smiley Happy

I adored the clothes: so many of the gowns were vintage: I would have been terrified of causing damage.  I did read somewhere that happened. An actress was wearing a gown and it literally disintegrated while shooting a scene.

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

I had no withdrawal: I was ready to let go.

(But if a movie were released in a  year or so, I would definitely go see it!)

Respected Contributor

I just posted this on anther thread, but A Place to Call Home has many of the addicting features of Downton Abbey. If you like the soap feel and some history thrown in, its great for binge watching. I just finished all 4 seasons

Esteemed Contributor

@skuggles, sounds great!  Off to look for it.  LM

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@skuggles wrote:

I just posted this on anther thread, but A Place to Call Home has many of the addicting features of Downton Abbey. If you like the soap feel and some history thrown in, its great for binge watching. I just finished all 4 seasons

@skuggles

I recently watched the very first episode of Place on the recommendation of my aunt.  The first 15 minutes hooked me.  I am glad library DVDs of this series are available in my area.

Also, I have moved on to Victoria.