Honored Contributor

It's by Kate Andersen Brower. I love to read what goes on at the White House. I was a big fan of The West Wing t.v. show years ago. It's just another world. This one so far, is right up there with good info.

Valued Contributor

@qualitygal  Thanks for the recommendation. Yes, The West Wing" was such a good show.

I have only just started this same author's book, "First Women; the grace and power of America's First Ladies", but I will look for this one next.

happy reading.

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Honored Contributor

Thanks, and I'll look for the one you just recommended. I love these. Did you read Mr. West's book "Backstairs at the White House"?  I have that one, it's great. He was a head usher for many years. (It's in paperback).

Valued Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Thanks, and I'll look for the one you just recommended. I love these. Did you read Mr. West's book "Backstairs at the White House"?  I have that one, it's great. He was a head usher for many years. (It's in paperback).

@qualitygal   I haven't read this one either & thank you for suggesting it!

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Honored Contributor

Re: Reading "The Residence"

[ Edited ]

QualityGal.....I enjoy history and anything to do with the White House....or "behind the scenes" living there.  I have read The Residence.  It is very interesting.  I have not read the new book by that author on First Ladies but this reminds me to get it; thanks 3cupcakes.  I also need to get the other one you mentioned "Backstairs at the White House".  Thanks for the thread on these books. 

Respected Contributor

I have this book in que on my Kindle and can't wear to read it. I have another one waiting called  "Upstairs at the Whitehouse".  I too am fascinated by the topic.

Trusted Contributor

I too am reading this book right now. It's very interesting and a topic I never really thought about in any depth-so I am learning a lot. I will have to check out the other books mentioned about this subject.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Respected Contributor

I have read this book last year and liked it a lot.  But my favorite book about the White House is Upstairs at the White House by J.B. West.  He was the Usher from the Roosevelt administration to the Nixon administration.  It's amazing.

Honored Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

I have read this book last year and liked it a lot.  But my favorite book about the White House is Upstairs at the White House by J.B. West.  He was the Usher from the Roosevelt administration to the Nixon administration.  It's amazing.

@CLEM, thanks! I thought it was Backstairs, but Upstairs must be right and it is by J.B. West.

Honored Contributor
Same author has a book on the First Ladies which I have put on hold at our library.