Esteemed Contributor

Re: My review: VOYAGE e-reader arrived and I am in love!

@Bridgegal wrote:

Question for you.    

I have the Kindle app on my laptop and iPhone 6+ and read books there.  I have no problem reading on either device.

What, if any, is the advantage to the Voyage or any other Kindle device?

Thanks.

@Bridgegal, the ereaders use e ink which is much easier on the eyes than reading from iPad or iPhone.  Love my ereader!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Bridgegal wrote:

Question for you.    

I have the Kindle app on my laptop and iPhone 6+ and read books there.  I have no problem reading on either device.

Thanks.

@Bridgegal, the ereaders use e ink which is much easier on the eyes than reading from iPad or iPhone.  Love my ereader!  LM

I read a LOT on my IPad Mini, but not so much on my IPad because it is bigger and heavier.  My choices are the Mini and the Kindles--although I admit I'm going more and more to my IPad Mini.  But the Kindles Paperwhites and Voyages are great!

Honored Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

Those of you with the Voyage, which cover did you buy?  I don't like the origami covers for this reader, too clunky and heavy looking for me, and just plain ugly imo.

I keep mine in zippered quilted cases from Vera Bradley.  I read on them without a cover.  The covers bother me.  I read on my IPad Mini too, and I have a very thin cover that is magnatized and just snaps on and covers the front only.  It is VERY thing and I got it at the apple store. It is a light aqua blue!  

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Bridgegal wrote:

Question for you.    

Thanks.

I would think you can get bigger type on the e-readers than the Iphone, the screen light can be softer, and they are for books only, so you just pick it up and read. They are cheaper than a cell phone too , if you have a small cell phone or don't want one.  They are light and easy to hold.  I keep mine in a certain place, so it is "stand alaone" not going to ring or me have to switch to something other than my book if I get a call. . .

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Bridgegal wrote:

Question for you.    

Thanks.

I would think you can get bigger type on the e-readers than the Iphone, the screen light can be softer, and they are for books only, so you just pick it up and read. They are cheaper than a cell phone too , if you have a small cell phone or don't want one.  They are light and easy to hold.  I keep mine in a certain place, so it is "stand alaone" not going to ring or me have to switch to something other than my book if I get a call. . .

@Bridgegal Another big plus is no glare. You can read outside in the sun, in the car, anywhere. 

Respected Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

Question for you.    

Thanks.

Thanks everyone.  Informative.   When I travel I take my phone, of course and my macbook air.    I really don't want to carry another device so for now, I'll stick with reading on my  phone and laptop.  If my eyes start going south, I may reconsider.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner   I am still using my older Kindle Keyboard which I love and it has the side "buttons" that I prefer.  That's the main reason I have the Voyage as my next e-reader to buy.  I did not know they were on sale last week.  I think the usual price for the Voyage is $199.

May I ask what you paid for your new Voyage?

Respected Contributor

I broke down and bought an Oasis.   I've been spending a lot of time in waiting rooms and I don't like reading off my phone.    I love it. 

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

@Sooner   I am still using my older Kindle Keyboard which I love and it has the side "buttons" that I prefer.  That's the main reason I have the Voyage as my next e-reader to buy.  I did not know they were on sale last week.  I think the usual price for the Voyage is $199.

May I ask what you paid for your new Voyage?

@Big SisterI wish I remembered!  I had some sort of discount from a credit card or reward money or something like that, AND they were on sale.  They should be on sale around this time of the year. You might google them occasionally and see what specials are upcoming, and maybe just long in to Amazon every day first and see if e-readers are on sale.  It happens more often than you'd think.  

Happy Hunting!  I use my Discover card for a lot of things and get points that I can use on Amazon to pay for things. . . I think that was part of the deal.  I also get offers through American Express that sometimes have specials or gift cards that you can earn and had a couple of Amazon.

Respected Contributor

Sooner, thanks so much for the info.  I appreciate your taking the time to reply.