Esteemed Contributor

I have been thinking and thinking about this one, I have so many authors I would love to meet, but I think if I were to sit down for a lunch where there was time to ask questions, it would be Fredrik Backman, he touches my soul and heart every time I sit down and read his words.

Honored Contributor

Bill O'Reilly and Eugenia Price.   Ms. Price passed in 1996 but I keep hoping a trunk of manuscripts will be found one day.  Until then I just re-read all her works.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Carl Hiaasen, Dave Barry, Norm Ornstein, Gail Collins, JK Rowling, Margaret Atwood, Ari Berman, Roxane Gay, and Bryan Stevenson.

Honored Contributor

Dave Barry could be pretty darn entertaining.

I'm not sure how impressive lunch with most authors would end up being. Many authors tend to be somewhat introverted, quiet, solitary individuals who don't excel in social settings. It could make for an awkward lunch date. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Without hesitation, my picks would be:

Toni Morrison

Marilynne Robinson (I actually met and spoke with her for about 5 minutes at the DC Capital Book Fair a few years ago.  Very introverted, but extremely warm and charming.  We took a photo together before her agent came and whisked her away.) 

James Baldwin

Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman I have often wondered that myself if authors would tend to be introverts, the only author I have ever seen in an interview was Jackie Collins, she seemed open and very friendly?

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@gardenman I have often wondered that myself if authors would tend to be introverts, the only author I have ever seen in an interview was Jackie Collins, she seemed open and very friendly?

We used to get ten thousand entries a year in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award and even with a dedicated forum just for us, many of the authors were too quiet and shy to post. There were probably just a few hundred of us who were active posters. Every now and then we'd ask if anyone was lurking and encourage them to join and we'd get quite a few responses, then they'd melt back into the background and disappear again.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

My choices have passed on: 

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Hildegard of Bingen 

John Donne 

Anne Frank 

Harper Lee

George Elliot 

Zora Neal Hurston 

Sigmund Freud 

Emily Dickinson