Regular Contributor

Re: IF YOU WERE GOING TO BUY A NEW EREADER, WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

I absolutely love the Kindle fire  not only for being an e reader, but it also gives me internet axis. It has given me a lot of joy as it is so versatile.

Trusted Contributor

Sooner. You do know that if both Kindles are listed on the same account, you can read each other's books without having to trade Kindles back and forth don't you?   You can both even read the same book at the same time

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nuttmeg I have the most basic kindle (not the keyboard) and the most basic kindle fire.  On the kindle fire I can read epub books on the Overdrive app.  Do you know if you can get the Overdrive app on either the Paperwhite or the Voyager?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@smokymtngal wrote:

@Nuttmeg I have the most basic kindle (not the keyboard) and the most basic kindle fire.  On the kindle fire I can read epub books on the Overdrive app.  Do you know if you can get the Overdrive app on either the Paperwhite or the Voyager?

@smoky22I found this answer on Amazon's site. You do not need an Overdrive app. You can not use an app on a Paperwhite.

"She will be able to borrow books from the library for her Paperwhite.

When you go to her( Buncombe Countys) Library site (from your computer) and click on ebooks, it takes you to the (NC) Digital Library site which uses Overdrive. She will select her book, then get the option of which format. Just choose Kindle. Then you will get a link to Amazon to download the book. It's a piece of cake! "

Respected Contributor

I tried to like the Paperwhite, but returned it to to shadows on the screen. I love the Voyage! It is light years ahead of the Paperwhite! I still own a Kindle Keyboard and it still works well!

Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@smokymtngal wrote:

@smoky22I found this answer on Amazon's site. You do not need an Overdrive app. You can not use an app on a Paperwhite.

"She will be able to borrow books from the library for her Paperwhite.

When you go to her( Buncombe Countys) Library site (from your computer) and click on ebooks, it takes you to the (NC) Digital Library site which uses Overdrive. She will select her book, then get the option of which format. Just choose Kindle. Then you will get a link to Amazon to download the book. It's a piece of cake! "

Thanks @Nuttmeg.  I get most of my library books in the kindle format from Amazon, but sometimes the book is only available as an epub book, then you need the actual Overdrive app to read it on a Kindle Fire (or a smartphone).  You answered my question that there are no apps on the Paperwhite.  Thanks for the response.

Frequent Contributor

I just use the free Kindle app on my mini iPad and iPad Air and I get along just fine - am I really missing anything not having a specific e-reader?

Esteemed Contributor

@SAGal, the big difference to me is the e-ink on the ereader.  I don't like the glare off iPad.  I also have the full size iPad and find it too large to read comfortably.  To each their own.  I know a lot of people use iPad to read.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@yock wrote:

Sooner. You do know that if both Kindles are listed on the same account, you can read each other's books without having to trade Kindles back and forth don't you?   You can both even read the same book at the same time

OF course!  LOL!!!  That's why I "need" more than one Kindle!  Woman Wink  GLAD you reminded all of us of that.  It's great that they let us do that.

We love this feature because we are both avid readers.  My husband mostly reads on the 7" Fire that he loves so much.  More on that than on the IPad.

Trusted Contributor

Sooner, should have known you would be on top of things.  My Grands who share with me complain about all the books they have to wad through. Heck I say go to collections and make a folder. Mine is call read books.  It puts a check mark by my read books and they get off my main page.  Customer service guy taught me. Lol