Esteemed Contributor

I wonder why I'm attracted to reading books about the holocaust.  Maybe the word "attracted" is the wrong word, but I seem to read more of that topic than any other. 

I'm going to try to take a break and read some other enjoyable topics, maybe even some books that make me laugh. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Super Contributor

Re: I wonder . . .

[ Edited ]

@sunala wrote:

I wonder why I'm attracted to reading books about the holocaust.  Maybe the word "attracted" is the wrong word, but I seem to read more of that topic than any other. 

I'm going to try to take a break and read some other enjoyable topics, maybe even some books that make me laugh. 

@sunala

You are drawn to Holocaust books, and I am drawn to books about the Titanic.

Esteemed Contributor

@rustee wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@sunala

You are drawn to Holocaust books, and I am drawn to books about the Titanic.

@rustee I guess we're both drawn to books about disasters. I bet lots of

people are. I wonder why lol

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Super Contributor

Re: I wonder . . .

[ Edited ]

Today, I am wondering if I am going to enjoy Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough. The hype caught my attention, and I just downloaded the audio version from OverDrive.

Respected Contributor

@Catty2

The early mystery books by James Patterson are really good reads....that includes the early Detective Cross series as well.    

I have read a significant numbers of his old and new " co-authored " books and can recommend the aforementioned ones:  great character development ( which is missing from the newer works ) and twists and turns in the story line that keeps you guessing.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Thanks, maybe I'll give JP a try.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

What "I Wonder" about in the world of books is how much longer printed books will continue to exist. The price of a hardbook is now in the $30 range.   Also, I just attended a meeting of our local County Commissioners on the subject of library funding and I'm wondering how long our libraries will continue to exist -- at least as physical buildings containing printed and audio books.  Anyone else pondering the same?

Respected Contributor

I use my local county and city libraries all the time.  Right now one of them is having an Adult Winter Reading Program so you get points for posting the title of a book you've read, and there are other challenges that also earn points.  Since I'm retired I probably read about 2 books a week.  It's a great way to relax. 

Honored Contributor

@Honeybit wrote:

What "I Wonder" about in the world of books is how much longer printed books will continue to exist. The price of a hardbook is now in the $30 range.   Also, I just attended a meeting of our local County Commissioners on the subject of library funding and I'm wondering how long our libraries will continue to exist -- at least as physical buildings containing printed and audio books.  Anyone else pondering the same?

I think printed books will ultimately go the way of CD's, DVD's and the like. The vast majority of sales will be in the digital format. 

Libraries are constantly evolving these days and many libraries no longer resemble the library of twenty or thirty years ago. I suspect many will evolve into a purely digital existence. Some New Jersey shore towns have so much tax revenue that they've been building massive libraries housing everything imaginable including lender ebook readers that residents can borrow. Instead of going to the library to borrow a book, you can now go and borrow a Kindle (or similar device) and read whatever you want on it. The stodgy old library with row after row of bookshelves is evolving these days into some pretty new and strange places. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I wonder why people read sequential books of an author when they didn't like the first one. Or maybe give him a chance and read the second one. The other day I read a poster whose post said she was trying his fourth but didn't like the first three. That to me makes no sense. I mean, get on with it. There are lots of authors, right?