Respected Contributor

Re: I have never understood . . .

Did you mean Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's?  Not understanding the Katherine Hepburn comment?

Esteemed Contributor

@withaK wrote:

The Great Gatsby...................A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius..........The Corrections

I also don't still understand the Oprah v. "A Million Little Pieces" bruhaha. From what I remember the author altered a few facts to protect the family of a woman who OD'd. He did not change the fact that she died of an overdose. 

I'm glad it isn't just me.  Several years ago a colleague loaned me "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" with rave reviews from her brother who happens to be part of the literary world in New York.  

Hmmm, I wasn't feeling it. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mollybgood wrote:

the love people have for

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
and
the books written by the Bronte sisters

What can't you wrap your head around

in the book world?

the appeal of j d robb

Super Contributor

"Eat Pray Love" - can't remember the author, but I was bored to death...can't understand the hype.

Respected Contributor

@withaK wrote:

The Great Gatsby...................A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius..........The Corrections

I also don't still understand the Oprah v. "A Million Little Pieces" bruhaha. From what I remember the author altered a few facts to protect the family of a woman who OD'd. He did not change the fact that she died of an overdose. 

I can agree with The Corrections

Esteemed Contributor

How I enjoyed Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms so much but could not get into any of his other books.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sunnyfield wrote:

"Eat Pray Love" - can't remember the author, but I was bored to death...can't understand the hype.

@Sunnyfield I agree.  So many of the women I worked with loved and raved about the book.  I barely made it through the eat part and put it down, never to pick it up again.

Trusted Contributor

...the appeal of books about vampires, books where the characters are sociopaths/psychopaths, and horror.  

I am glad there are so many kinds of books that I do like!

Esteemed Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

...the appeal of books about vampires, books where the characters are sociopaths/psychopaths, and horror.  

I am glad there are so many kinds of books that I do like!

And I love them!  From Bram Stoker's Dracula to Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series, I'm guilty of loving them!

I like a lot of horror story books, but I don't necessarily enjoy watching movies or tv series that are too graphic.  I'd rather leave the really gory details up to my imagination.

Esteemed Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Throwback to the 80s:  Danielle Steele! My word, she was popular and wrote a ton of books.  Tried one, one time, and thought, "This is so badly written, I cannot even read it."

@Peaches McPhee - OMG I am SO with you!

The few books I've read of hers were wretched. Her very early ones were somewhat tolerable, and I did read a few, but as time went by, UGH. She writes the same characters, just in different places in different situations. And I hate all of them lol

Rushing Waters, the one she wrote about Superstorm Sandy, was abominable. I only read it because I thought MAYBE she would do a good job on it. I laughed as I read it, so in a way it was a form of amusement for me. The plot (and especially the facts) were totally ridiculous! Never ever again.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett