Respected Contributor

How Big Is Your TBR Pile of Books and How Often Do You "Weed" Them Out?

[ Edited ]

On occasion, I gradually weed out my tbr pile on Goodreads since I tend to add books that I think I would like and then months/years go by and I think to myself, why did I want to read this book or else my tastes change since I put it on my list yrs ago.  I have books on my list from the 2000s I think.

My pile is now 800, as if I'll ever get around to even 1/2 or even lower.  It grows daily thanks to all the book websites I find books on.

How big is your tbr pile and how often do you go through it?

Just curious!

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: How Big Is Your TBR Pile of Books and How Often Do You "Weed" Them Out?

I actually have a "library cart" as part of my living room furniture..........(it's full).

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

I actually have a "library cart" as part of my living room furniture..........(it's full).

Love it!  Smiley Very Happy I only have 19 books "literally" on my bookcase but 800 on my TBR list.

Trusted Contributor

I think my book pile puts me in " messy" status in my house.  Always in the way etc.. It's my magazine pile thar's killing me.  I have no idea where they come from.  I think some are like gwp from the southern shopping chanel.  

I may get a library cart and stack both the books and the mags so I can wheel them ar d wheel them around!

At the beginning of summer I did do a clean out and dropped a carload of books and cookbooks at salvation army.  Hope somebody enjous them. 

Honored Contributor

I'm  a book hoarder, both with actual books and on my kindle. I have a fear of running out of something to read, even though that will never happen. Even after a donation to a book sale, I still have too many books, sigh.📚📚📚

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

About 200 on my 'for later' list on library site, always reading 4 or 5, several hard copies on night stand and bookcase. I am the same way with movies on Netflix and Amazon Prime. 

I have become a 'virtual' hoarder.

I  weed out frequently, every few months or so, but never seem to get under a certain number. I am always adding to the lists through reviews.

Respected Contributor

I own hundreds of books that are waiting TBR.

I do weed through them a couple times a year, but rarely get rid of anything.

One thing I have managed to do, though, is to curtail my buying.

Honored Contributor

I probably own a couple hundred books that I haven't read yet.  I was getting so many books given to me and I finally had to say -- no more.  I was running out of storage space.  I used to say -- I will not turn a book down, but I just had to.  

I don't know if others feels this way.  I appreciate being given books but I'd really rather pick my own books out.  Its so much fun to go book browsing and then when you find something that really appeals to you, it's like finding a precious jewel!  

I've been trying to talk myself out of buying books lately -- telling myself --- but you have so many already you haven't read.  But the majority of these are not ones I chose for myself.  

Reading is one of the great joys of my life!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I am an avid reader with two Kindles and I have over five hundred books on them. I read everyday and just keep adding to them. I also have a book shelf that goes from the floor to the ceiling that is full of real books that I have not read. Years ago before Kindles were invented I thought I should stock up on books so when I was old and couldn't get to the book store or the library I would always have a new book to read! In my opinion you can never have to many books!!

Honored Contributor

I don't read much fiction ... so there are only about a dozen of those on my Kindle TBR.

For non-fiction, most aren't the sort of books that you just read through one time.  There are more than 400 of those on my Kindle.  Most have been started and I'm working my way through them.

Actual "books" ... again ... only a few fiction.  Several hundred non-fiction.  I'm in the process of weeding them out now.  I have stacks of books here on the floor that I'm going through.  Last time I did this was about five years ago.  So far, I've only disposed of one paperback novel!

My Amazon wishlist of books has about 192 books on it!