Frequent Contributor

Re: Has anyone watched the pilot episode of Agatha Raisin?

I watched them all and the first ones were not as good, but as the series progressed it became better.

I just finished binge watching Morse. It is very good. 

I love Acorn TV, it is the only thing I watch on TV plus Netflix.

Trusted Contributor

I am bringing up this old thread to let everyone know that my PBS station is showing "AGATHA RAISIN AND THE QUICHE OF DEATH" on January 5th. So, check your local listings if you are interested in seeing this. I don't know if I'm going to like this version, as it features the blonde Agatha, but I'll give it a try.
Trusted Contributor

My PBS station showed the first Agatha Raisin mystery, "THE QUICHE OF DEATH," on Thursday night (and will be repeating it), and it was certainly very interesting!  I felt it was basically true to the story and the spirit of Agatha.  The casting is very strange:  it is like a modern day version of the cast:  Agatha is blonde, her cleaner Doris has been renamed Gemma and is the single mom of a young daughter, the vicar is black and named Jez, and his wife is younger and more attractive than in the books.  But, I felt the casting for her assistant Roy and the policeman Bill was spot on and her next-door neighbor James is a hunk!!!  Overall, I enjoyed it, and will be watching the next one, "THE WALKERS OF DEMBLEY" next Thursday night.

Respected Contributor

@dawg lover  Your PBS station seems to show a lot more interesting stuff than my PBS station.  I've been watching for Agatha and no sign of this yet.  I keep hoping. 

Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@dawg lover  Your PBS station seems to show a lot more interesting stuff than my PBS station.  I've been watching for Agatha and no sign of this yet.  I keep hoping. 

@smoky22 - I am extremely fortunate that Atlanta has 2 different PBS stations, and their programming usually varies.  I am so thankful for their quality shows!

I watched the second episode of Agatha Raisin yesterday, and again it stuck very closely to the book, which was "THE WALKERS OF DEMBLEY."  So, in spite of the non-traditional casting, it does give you the "flavor" of the books, and I am enjoying it.

Honored Contributor

@smoky22. @dawg lover.

I also get two PBS stations and neither is showing it!!!  I don't like the sound of the changes but I wish I had the chance to watch it and make up my own mind!

Trusted Contributor

I'm a huge Agatha Raisin series fan - I've read the entire season from book 1 to the most current book.

I just saw the first episode on PBS. They definitely changed up the "look" of the characters but I think they kept some of the key characteristics. Agatha definitely doesn't look like the character described in the book but the actress did a great job. I will keep watching. I hope PBS will continue showing the series.

Frequent Contributor

I watched series 1 in Acorn TV and it is entertaining, not outstanding.