Respected Contributor

Has anyone watched the pilot episode of Agatha Raisin?

Having just binge-read over two dozen Agatha Raisin books (I love Agatha!), I was eager to check out the new Acorn series featuring her escapades.

One of Agatha's plus features is her oft-mentioned "glossy brown hair," in contrast to her "bearlike eyes." The woman portraying Agatha has neither. Instead, she's a blue-eyed blonde.

I don't want to reveal spoilers, but I was surprised about policeman Bill Wong's feelings, and I had never pictured the vicar looking the way he does (is there a point to it that I'm missing?).

I will watch other episodes as they become available, but I just wonder why author M.C. Beaton was not trusted to know how she wants the unique Agatha depicted.

Anyone else watch the pilot?

Contributor

Re: Has anyone watched the pilot episode of Agatha Raisin?

Yes, I gave it a try yesterday. The premise was good, I hope it gets better. Now you have me looking into reading the series.

There is just so much great British TV to enjoy!

Frequent Contributor

I saw it and did not like the casting.  In the book, Agatha Raisin is a bit brassy but likeable and funny.  I think they could have done better at casting.  I hope it gets better because I don't think it is off to a great start.  JMHO. 

Honored Contributor

@insomniac2 I hate when that happens. I would probably turn it off. The original Miss Marple (Joan Hickson) was the only believable one-didn't like any of the actresses after her. (I tried!)

Trusted Contributor

I saw information about the Agatha Raisin series and was going to look into it further, but then I read terrible reviews of it.  As you would expect, everyone was upset about the casting of a glamorous blonde as Agatha.  I just don't understand why they would do that, as it was certain to fail with fans of the series, who are the most likely to watch.

@Judaline, I agree with you completely about Joan Hickson being the best Miss Marple!  My local PBS station has just been running the full series, and I have enjoyed them so much.  She was perfect in that role.

Honored Contributor

Heresy!  I won't watch.  I've always loved that M.C. Beaton gave Agatha Raisin her own bear-like eyes!  Other than that they do not look alike but Agatha's eyes are those of her creator.

I'm not watching a blonde perky Agatha.  They should call her Agatha Plum or something, that is not our Aggie.

Respected Contributor

I haven't seen any of the shows but love the books and on facebook there is an Agatha Raisin group and it is so much fun! Women from all over the world that read Agatha and Hamis series also written by M.C. Beaton are on it. Can't wait for the new Agatha book coming out in September. We don't get the shows on TV but I am hoping we will soon.

Esteemed Contributor

I've read every Agatha Raisin mystery but when I took a look at the actress portraying her, I lost interest in watching. Why do they do this? The popularity of the books should clue the producers into the fact that they already have a guide to success...but nooooo!

Valued Contributor

@insomniac2

Where would I find the pilot?  First I have heard of it.

Frequent Contributor

It is on Acorn TV.  I watch on my Amazon Fire.