Respected Contributor

Re: Happy New Year ~ What Are You Reading~January 2017

[ Edited ]

@smoky22 wrote:

And there's a book I've been wanting to read, The Wolf Road (Beth Lewis), that my library only has in an audio version.  I've listened to the first cd and am not sure I have the patience for it.  How do so many of you listen to your books?  It's just not the same to me as reading.  I may have to buy the book.

I just had to give an update on this.  I recommended this book to my e-library about two months ago and I just received notice that it's now available as an e-book and I'm next in line.  Yay!  I'll be returning those darn CD's PDQ.

Contributor

Just started AMERICAN WIFE by Curtis Sittenfeld. I'm about 50 pages in and am enjoying it so far.
Esteemed Contributor

@catlover00 wrote:
Just started AMERICAN WIFE by Curtis Sittenfeld. I'm about 50 pages in and am enjoying it so far.

@catlover00  -- I loved American Wife! I read it several years  ago but still remember it. 

Although I know it was written as fiction, there's certainly a lot of truth in the book. Very interesting read!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN I just requested that from our library, I should have it shortly sounds as if I have another good one coming!

Honored Contributor

I just got my library email telling me of the librarians favorite books for the year. This one sounds good to me:

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein. Nazi-Gestapo stuff. I would like to get back to my WWll phase-won't be long. I only have two other books to finish! But if somebody's read this please let me know.

sunny-I am already getting chills and tearing up over my Newfie book. That's what I call it.

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN I just requested that from our library, I should have it shortly sounds as if I have another good one coming!

The Good Girl is very very good. I am more than 1/2 way through it and I really like it so far, anxious to see what is going to happen! Let me know what you think!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I started Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher.

Finished Unsinkable: A Memoir, which was a wonderful read and very, very interesting.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@sunalawrote:

@LoriLori @Judaline  this was one of my favorite books I read this year. It had been on my TBR list for several years but I finally got around to reading it and literally could not put it down. I cried through several sections of the book as well. People are SO GOOD! I wish we heard more of the good that people do on a daily basis, rather than the bad. It would make our lives so much more enjoyable!

I hadn't heard of a film or a play taken from the experiences in Gander, but I would love to see either (or both). 

@sunala, the book is wonderful. 

I posted a link to the play, a musical, which is opening on Broadway soon (previews in February) --

http://comefromaway.com/?gclid=CJG5o4yTq9ECFU-5wAodK8UJiA

You might want to find that upthread as @DiAnne saw it out of town and @Lilysmom has been to Gander and has long known how wonderful the people are!

@LoriLori  I can't imagine this book being turned into a musical!! But apparently it is, although I don't think I have any interest in seeing it. 

I've been watching this documentary with Tom Brokaw. Here is the link. It tells it the way it was, with great compassion 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXbxoy4Mges

There is so much love in this world. If only we knew more experiences of love rather than the hate. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Away in a Manger by Rhys Bowen
(part of the Molly Murphy series/my first/Christmas 1905/Kindle eBook Audible download combo)

Trusted Contributor

Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx