Honored Contributor

Re: Happy New Year ~ What Are You Reading~January 2017

[ Edited ]

@smoky22 wrote:

@LoriLoriI'm sad that you're still not feeling well.  Wish I could send you something besides good thoughts. How about some nice, hot chicken soup?  In case you're vegetarian, you must get some extra B12.  Maybe more vitamin C.  

By the way, you give me way too much credit.  I've never heard of Diamonds and Dust.  And I get a lot of great recommendations from you.  Who told us all to read Ove?  Huh?  Huh?  You, of course!   Get well, soon, my friend.    

@smoky22, bless you!  I'll have the version with the chicken, please, and thank you!  That sounds so good right now!!!!

Ove Heart

ETA:  Oh, duh, I called it "Diamonds and Dust", can I blame the fever?  I meant the great book "Dust and Shadow", doh!, which went from you to me to @Judaline (who, shhhh, is having a birthday today).

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JUD!

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori Now you're confusing me. I remember you saying you thought the musical Far and Away was taken from the book The Day the World Came to Town but then you said you saw the author (or playwright) was Canadian so it wasn't the same guy. Now are you saying they are one and the same? The book and the play? Ta

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori said: 

@judaline, it's too late, I am battling exactly that and mom is having some behavior issues which means I need to be with her, not in the hospital.  Thanks for caring, and I hope you have a healthy 2017.  How are you feeling?

lori, if you don't take care of yourself you can't take care of her! You'll end up in the hospital anyway and your mom will be who knows where? Could you not get care for her in your home while you go to hospital and get well. I know it's NOMB but I do care.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@LoriLori Now you're confusing me. I remember you saying you thought the musical Far and Away was taken from the book The Day the World Came to Town but then you said you saw the author (or playwright) was Canadian so it wasn't the same guy. Now are you saying they are one and the same? The book and the play? Ta

@Judaline, Jim DeFede wrote the book.   Then the town and the people from the planes had a tenth reunion in Gander, and the Canadians who later wrote the play attended that.  So DeFede gets no credit for the play although it may not have happened if he hadn't written the book.  And the great thing about the book is it tells so many stories although I'd love to see the musical too.

Duh, now I've confused you and Smoky both.  Sorry!!!

Hope the rest of your birthday is fantastic!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@Judaline, Jim DeFede wrote the book.   Then the town and the people from the planes had a tenth reunion in Gander, and the Canadians who later wrote the play attended that.  So DeFede gets no credit for the play although it may not have happened if he hadn't written the book.  And the great thing about the book is it tells so many stories although I'd love to see the musical too.

Duh, now I've confused you and Smoky both.  Sorry!!!

Hope the rest of your birthday is fantastic!

@LoriLori @Judaline  this was one of my favorite books I read this year. It had been on my TBR list for several years but I finally got around to reading it and literally could not put it down. I cried through several sections of the book as well. People are SO GOOD! I wish we heard more of the good that people do on a daily basis, rather than the bad. It would make our lives so much more enjoyable!

I hadn't heard of a film or a play taken from the experiences in Gander, but I would love to see either (or both). 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Valued Contributor

I am just finishing "The Love Goddess' Cooking School" by Melissa Senate and found it light but very enjoyable.  Holly inherits her Italian grandmother's cooking school (in Maine) and finds romance and friendship.  Thought it was going to be your usual  ho-hum romance, but it was actually very well written and I learned a lot about Italian dishes. I work in a library, and am planning a book display for Valentine's Day called "Recipes for Romance." If you can recommend any titles please let me know.  Should involve cooking, if possible.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished Nemisis (Agatha Christie) which I thoroughly enjoyed! I have started The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro.  Can I just say...now I'm feeling the need to re-watch Downton Abbey! haha

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunalawrote:

@LoriLori @Judaline  this was one of my favorite books I read this year. It had been on my TBR list for several years but I finally got around to reading it and literally could not put it down. I cried through several sections of the book as well. People are SO GOOD! I wish we heard more of the good that people do on a daily basis, rather than the bad. It would make our lives so much more enjoyable!

I hadn't heard of a film or a play taken from the experiences in Gander, but I would love to see either (or both). 

@sunala, the book is wonderful. 

I posted a link to the play, a musical, which is opening on Broadway soon (previews in February) --

http://comefromaway.com/?gclid=CJG5o4yTq9ECFU-5wAodK8UJiA

You might want to find that upthread as @DiAnne saw it out of town and @Lilysmom has been to Gander and has long known how wonderful the people are!

Super Contributor

Finished listening to Victoria by Daisy Goodwin
(5 stars!/the narrator is an actress in the PBS series)

starting
Other Widow by Susan Crawford
(tale featuring the two women in a man's life and a female investigator/OverDrive audiobook)

Honored Contributor

I finished Redshirts, by John Scalzi and Night of the Living Deed, by E. J. Cooperman.

Redshirts was fantastic. I wrote more about it in this thread.

Now I am reading Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline, and Double Whammy, by Carl Hiaasen. I am loving Ready Player One. I have the audio version, read by Wil Wheaton. This book is like a love letter to growing up nerdy in the 1980s. So clever. Double Whammy is a re-read for me and I'm enjoying that one, also. It's the first book with Skink, a character that recurs in several Hiassen books. Skink has the most fascinating backstory of any character I've ever come across and I wanted to read it again. Smiley Happy