Honored Contributor

Re: Happy New Year ~ What Are You Reading~January 2017

Waves of Mercy, by Lynn Austin

The Inseparables, by Stuart Nadle

Happy New Year to all and may every book you read this year be your favorite.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I finished "THE WOMAN IN CABIN 10" and had mixed reactions, as many others on this thread did as well.  Good, but not great is how I would sum it up.  The heroine reminds me of the neurotic, hard-drinking woman in "THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN," just not as bad.

I read "CRIMSON SNOW, edited by Martin Edwards, which is a collection of winter-themed short mystery stories by the British Library Crime Classics series.  This was really good; all of the stories were enjoyable.  I have read many of the British Library Crime Classic books that are being re-issued and they are hit and miss for me.  This was the best one I have read, so far.

Years ago, I read the Virginia Lanier bloodhound mystery series and thought they were very good.  I picked up the first one, "DEATH IN BLOODHOUND RED", the other day and re-read it.  Although dated, it is still very good, and I am going to read the rest of the series again.  It is about a tough-as-nails Georgia woman who does search-and-rescue missions with her bloodhounds.  A warning to pet lovers:  there is a dog death in this book which is very sad.

Today, I picked up 3 books from the library that have been recommended by the posters here:  "THE CURIOUS CHARMS OF ARTHUR PEPPER" by Phaedra Patrick, "WRITTEN OFF" by E. J. Copperman, and "CLOSE YOUR EYES" by Iris Johansen.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  I don't like hearing that you and your mum are ailing. Keep your immune system strong so as not to get any of those nasty germs floating around. Don't tell me it's too late and that's what you're battling!

I'm sorry, the book about Newfoundland is called, The Day the World Came to Town which I thought you recommended? Also I guess I was wrong that you suggested Dust and Shadow when it was smoky (thanks). I'll get it right yet!

Honored Contributor

I just finished Missing, Presumed by Susie Steiner. This is the first book I have read by this author and I really enjoyed it.

"Detective Manon Bradshaw is 39, single, and miserable as sin. She has endured some of the worst dates in internet history. But she loves her job and performs it brilliantly; all she needs to rise up in the ranks is a big break. Edith Hind is a gorgeous, intrepid graduate student at Cambridge University who seems to have it all: a doting boyfriend, a devoted friend named Helena, a loving mother and a father who is a surgeon to the Royal Family. When Edith turns up missing from her apartment one evening, leaving only a single streak of blood along the front foyer wall, the case becomes a national media sensation. In the first frenzied 72 hours of being assigned to the case, Bradshaw will make a number of alarming discoveries: Edith's behavior had been erratic in the run-up to her disappearance, and her close friend Helena, the last person to see her, is clearly hiding something. A known sex offender appears in CCTV footage of Edith taken a short while before she goes missing. Then a body is discovered floating in a nearby river. Is Edith Hind alive or dead? Was her "complex love life" at the heart of her disappearance, as the tabloids are suggesting? Why is there reluctance, in the senior ranks, to press too hard on some elements of the story? Detective Bradshaw must use all her skill and resources to bring closure to the case for Edith's family, as she finds herself becoming ever more personally, and dangerously, invested"-- Provided by publisher.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne  I read this. It kept me going but I thought it was just OK.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@LoriLori  I don't like hearing that you and your mum are ailing. Keep your immune system strong so as not to get any of those nasty germs floating around. Don't tell me it's too late and that's what you're battling!

I'm sorry, the book about Newfoundland is called, The Day the World Came to Town which I thought you recommended? Also I guess I was wrong that you suggested Dust and Shadow when it was smoky (thanks). I'll get it right yet!

@Judaline, it's too late, I am battling exactly that and mom is having some behavior issues which means I need to be with her, not in the hospital.  Thanks for caring, and I hope you have a healthy 2017.  How are you feeling?

I got "Dust and Shadow" from @smoky22 and then I came on here and raved about it.

You got "The Day the World Came to Town" so quickly.  (That was my contribution to this forum, that and 'A Man Called Ove" and "We Need to Talk About Kevin" -- other than that I've taken a lot more than I've given).

"The Day the World Came to Town" is such a wonderful book to start off the New Year. That sounds crazy to say about a book about 9/11 but since it takes place far away from the attacks it doesn't bring up pain or trauma, just the opposite.  Wish I could see the musical on Broadway.

Esteemed Contributor

1. Boy Soldiers of the American Revolution by Caroline Cox. It's a short book filled with facts and interesting stories. 
Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

@LoriLoriI'm sad that you're still not feeling well.  Wish I could send you something besides good thoughts. How about some nice, hot chicken soup?  In case you're vegetarian, you must get some extra B12.  Maybe more vitamin C.  

By the way, you give me way too much credit.  I've never heard of Diamonds and Dust.  And I get a lot of great recommendations from you.  Who told us all to read Ove?  Huh?  Huh?  You, of course!   Get well, soon, my friend.    

Respected Contributor

I finished News of the World and can't say enough about it.   What a wonderful journey!

I'm now going to read A Wrinkle in Time, having never read it previously. 

And there's a book I've been wanting to read, The Wolf Road (Beth Lewis), that my library only has in an audio version.  I've listened to the first cd and am not sure I have the patience for it.  How do so many of you listen to your books?  It's just not the same to me as reading.  I may have to buy the book.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Taking the Titanic by James Patterson
(BookShots/Kindle eBook Alexa can read to me/ thieves posing as a couple are aboard the 

Titanic.