Esteemed Contributor

Re: Happy New Year ~ What Are You Reading~January 2017

Tonight I finished reading Will Send Rain by Rae Meadows. Although the subject matter was sad (hardscrabble family life in the Oklahoma Dust Bowl in the 1930's) it was written very well and I was very interested in the story of the family and what happened to the town.  I gave it four stars.

I think now I'm going to read The Whistler, the newest John Grisham book. It seems that all the good books I reserved for my Kindle came in at the same time, so I've got quite the collection.

Happy 2017 and happy reading!!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

lori, lori I got this from my library today and thought of you. I think I'm going to order it. 

The Book Thieves: The Nazi Looting of Europe's Libraries and the Race to Return a Literary Inheritance
by Anders Rydell
The Nazis didn’t just burn books, they also looted them from Jewish institutions and both public and private libraries, creating their own collection in order to rewrite history by turning them into Nazi propaganda. Now a small team of Berlin librarians is combing through the city’s libraries to identify the looted books and reunite them with the families of their original owners. When the team gives journalist Anders Rydell one of the books to return, he realizes how much one book can mean to those who lost relatives in the Holocaust. An engrossing, haunting journey for fans of The Monuments Men.
To request this item:
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bella-luna wrote:

@rustee Oh! I'm very much a Victorian enthusiast and am SO looking forward to the PBS series! Can't wait to hear what your thoughts are on this book because I'm also wanting to read it.

@bella-luna

I am loving Victoria by Daisy Goodwin.  I am looking forward to seeing season 1 on PBS.  I understand season 2 and a Christmas segment are already in the works!

Super Contributor

A thriller called The night bird by Brian Feeman. I got it for my 1 free ebook for Prime members.  First time I've heard of this author.

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline@LoriLori The Book Thiefs was one of my favorites.  Did you know they made a movie of it?  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  I think it's The Book Thief (the movie). I saw it and liked it a lot but it's not the book I'm referring to here, The Book Thieves. I think this is non fiction but not positive. Thanks. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I started "Unsinkable: A Memoir".

So far it's a good read, I can almost hear Debbie Reynolds saying the words it seems so real.  Just me! 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am reading  BTK The Inside Story of BTK, The serial Killer next door. I am into true crime at the moment  for some reason.  I plan on reading The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and detection and created modern crime.  I plan on reading the last book in the Bill Hodges trilogy by Stephen King. I just finished book2. 

I just purchased the Time series by Arthur C Clarke and the Collected Stories of Arthur C Clark  I plan to read in 2017.  I also purchased a history book called Life in the Victorian Asylum: The world of 19th Century Mental Health Care.   I also purchased the book on the movie " Arrival"   and some short stories and other books By Stephen King.

Contributor

Happy New Year!   I just finished "Desire Lines" by Christina Baker Kline.  I loved her book Orphan Train, and her other books too, so I knew I would enjoy this book as well.  It is one of her older books.

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline, yes you are right.  Different story.