Honored Contributor

Re: Happy New Year ~ What Are You Reading~January 2017

@dmk2   Paulette Jiles is one of my favorite authors. My favorite is Enemy Women.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks, judaline.  I think I'll also try Enemy Women.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished listening to The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer.  It's been a few years since I read The Host, and even longer for the Twilight trilogy.  So, in other words, I forgot what drove me nuts about her writing style. The narrator had a very monotone voice too. It was a new genre for Meyer, and I couldn't help but think her research consisted of watching spy movies and reading books about secret agents.  I guess I couldn't even call it a "spy thriller" as that part of the book was so minor when compared to the angst between the love interests. I do think the epilogue showed promise, but getting there was sometimes very painful.

Honored Contributor

Victoria, by Daisy Goodwin

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Faithful by Alice Hoffman (love her books)

Blue Monday Nicci French

Tuesday's Gone Nicci French

Waiting for Wednesday Nicci French 

Respected Contributor

@Janey2your Nicci French books sound interesting.  I just put the first one on hold.

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I am trying to read The Nix by Nathan Hill.  Has anyone else read this?  I am at about 80 pages of this 600+ page book.  This is slow going but I keep think I must be missing something because there are over 200 people waiting for this book from the library.  I think I will read a couple more chapters and if I don't like it any better just give it up. 

@DiAnneI've been on hold for The Nix for some time.  There are still 4 people ahead of me.  I'll be interested to hear if it gets better or not.  It seems that lately the books getting all the attention are just not that compelling.

Respected Contributor

Smoky2016 I hope you enjoy the Nicci French books. I cannot put them down. They start off slow, but pick up about 40 pages in. I love all the characters. 

Honored Contributor

@kitty45 wrote:

A thriller called The night bird by Brian Feeman. I got it for my 1 free ebook for Prime members.  First time I've heard of this author.

@kitty45

Brian Freeman has a series of books with Jonathan Stride which I have enjoyed.

You might want to check it out, but read them in order.

I'm currently reading PULSE by JOHN LUTZ. Creepy serial killer on the hunt for females with Quinn and partners closing in. I haven't read him for a while and don't know how he comes up with the various ways of killing. 

Trusted Contributor

@Janey2 and @smoky22 - Nicci French's series with Frieda Klein are very good. I have read the Monday through Friday books, and the Saturday book is coming out in the US in July. (I think it is already out in the UK). I think the series gets better as it goes along.