Respected Contributor

Re: Female characters with male names

[ Edited ]

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@luv-the-Q wrote:

Well, my name is Rickie.  I'm a female.  Not a nick name.  When I was young it was a little embarrassing.  Everyone would say "That's a boy's name".  I eventually began to like it.  That is me.  It's a strong wonderful name.  I'm proud of it.  I'm 63 years old and I can't imagine having a girl's name.  

I like your name Rickie !! 

I do too Rickie.  I grew up w/a woman who's name was Rickie but not sure if that was a nickname or not.  Look at Rickie Lee Jones and how famous she is. Smiley Very Happy

I watched What's My Line recently on BUZZR TV and Fred Allen's wife name was PORTLAND.  Hello?  Talk about a weird name and not sure what gender this was before I saw her.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Female names have changed.  The young girls in my neighborhood are Sheridan, Cameron and Madison.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not authors or characters from a novel but my best friend from elementary and middle school her parents names were Tommie (her Mom) and June (her Dad).  They would just change out what came in the mail from sales ect.. when it was necessary.  But it was so strange even with the ie spelling in "Tommie."

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Not novels but the new Doctor Who companion is a British stage actress and the character's name is Bill.  Why?

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

Not novels but the new Doctor Who companion is a British stage actress and the character's name is Bill.  Why?

@LoriLori I read that, too, and I hate it.  It's a stupid name for a female.  I'm hoping it's at least short for something, like Sybil maybe.  Even so, it's a stupid name.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SWEET wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@luv-the-Q wrote:

Well, my name is Rickie.  I'm a female.  Not a nick name.  When I was young it was a little embarrassing.  Everyone would say "That's a boy's name".  I eventually began to like it.  That is me.  It's a strong wonderful name.  I'm proud of it.  I'm 63 years old and I can't imagine having a girl's name.  

I like your name Rickie !! 

I do too Rickie.  I grew up w/a woman who's name was Rickie but not sure if that was a nickname or not.  Look at Rickie Lee Jones and how famous she is. Smiley Very Happy

I watched What's My Line recently on BUZZR TV and Fred Allen's wife name was PORTLAND.  Hello?  Talk about a weird name and not sure what gender this was before I saw her.

Rickie Lake came to mind also

Honored Contributor

Why do they do it? Because it's the authors character and they feel the name fits the character they created. It's that simple. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

And who's to say they are men's names?   Just because someone else says so?    I know 2 men named Gale, 1 named Shirley.   

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Esteemed Contributor
My name is gender neutral. I don't see a problem.
Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

Why do they do it? Because it's the authors character and they feel the name fits the character they created. It's that simple. 

@jaxs momauthors may take as many liberties as they please, but that doesn't mean I'm going to like it. When the names are strange, they confuse me. I don't like to be hung up on names when I'm trying to get into a book.

The book I'm reading now has several characters.  The main character is "David Garvey." (I'm making that up because I can't remember his name.)  The author refers to him as "David" in one sentence as David, and another sentence as Garvey. Huh? Now I'm thinking that it's two separate characters. I don't like that at all.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett