Trusted Contributor

Re: Favorite historical fiction books?

@rustee wrote:

My favorite historical fiction books are those featuring important and/or famous women in history.

These have been my faves over the years (audiobooks) ~

Nefertiti by Michelle Moran (Queen of Egypt)
Loving Frank by Nancy Horan (Mamah Borthwick Cheney)
Paris Wife by Paula McLain (Hadley Richardson Hemingway)
Aviator's Wife by Melanie Benjamin (Anne Morrow Lindbergh)
Victoria by Daisy Goodwin (Queen Victoria)

YOURS?

Did you enjoy Victoria ?  It's on my Nook list to purchase, but I've read at least two other books on Victoria and am not sure I'll learn anything new about the venerable Queen than I already do.  What a shame most of her letters/diaries were severely redacted by her daughter, Beatrice, or simply destroyed.  It was a time of such change not only in Britain, but around the world it would have been instructive to know her thoughts as the events were happening.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sammijo10 wrote:

Did you enjoy Victoria ?  It's on my Nook list to purchase, but I've read at least two other books on Victoria and am not sure I'll learn anything new about the venerable Queen than I already do.  What a shame most of her letters/diaries were severely redacted by her daughter, Beatrice, or simply destroyed.  It was a time of such change not only in Britain, but around the world it would have been instructive to know her thoughts as the events were happening.  

@Sammijo10

I enjoyed listening to Victoria very much.  If you enjoy the new PBS series with the same name, you will probably enjoy the book.  The same person wrote the book and created the series.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, Rustee!  I have an Audible app on my phone and Nook, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I can't seem to sit still long enough to be plugged in to an audio book for very long. When I was working and commuting (40 minutes one way), I plugged them into my car all the time.  Got them at the local library.  Now, there's always something I have to do (or SHOULD be doing!) 

Loved the Catherine the Great novel.  Although not a novel, i enjoyed the book George, Nicholas and Wilhelm, by Miranda Carter.  It outlines the lives of the three cousins and the run up to WWI.  Great historical prespective that only one hundred years can give us.  

Trusted Contributor

If any of you get the chance, read The Accidental Empress and then volume 2, SiSi, by Alison Pataki.  It's about the life of the Empress of the Austro-Hungarian Empire who's son Rudolf committed suicide.  

I tend to read about female historical figures the most it seems.  I've been struck by how, despite the unfairness of the customs and laws many have become very powerful in their own right.  To my way of thinking a strong personality can suceed no matter what the odds.

My favorite is Eleanor of Aquitaine.  Someone writes a new book about her about once every two years it seems!